Old 09-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #11
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
I am assuming this is a rebuilt long block as this engine has not been made for some time.

You can block off the t-stat and try pressurizing the block to find the crack. About 15 psi should do.

Keep the wife happy and stay with the 7.4, she won't complain about the $'s as much.

Oh yes, it is a rebuilt long block through Mercruiser. At this point, considering there is clearly a crack in the block somewhere and that the engine is 17 years old, I'm perfectly OK with dropping the Reman 7.4L long block in it.

cwolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #12
Lt. JG

So, not withstanding the sediment build up in the engine, that likely caused the cracked block, you may remember my original "symptoms" that I had (before the water got in the oil), where the boat was experiencing engine stall after running at WOT for a couple minutes or so or if at WOT for a shorter period, engine would stall when backing off rapidly from WOT. Well, new long block, new manifolds/risers/elbow, rebuilt carb, all new plugs, wires, coils, rotor, distributor cap, distributor pick up module, did NOT solve the original issue. While the shop had it in the base timing mode to set the timing, it was bouncing all over the place. Appears the ICM was the cause of all that! So, what's another $500.00 with you've just dropped $10K into thing! Not sure how much more of this I can stand!

Old 09-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #13
Admiral

Take a deep breath.

A friend of mine had to get a rebuilt longblock a few years back and spent $6K but did not touch the others stuff you mentioned. Well since then he has had to replace all the things you mentioned and has lost lots of time on the water by spacing it out until each failed.

Getting to frustrated will only give the next owner a nice boat at this point.

After the computer the only thing left is the ignition sensor in the distributor.

PS: you are running a new engine at WOT already? What does theshop recommend for break-in?
Old 09-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #14
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Take a deep breath.

A friend of mine had to get a rebuilt longblock a few years back and spent $6K but did not touch the others stuff you mentioned. Well since then he has had to replace all the things you mentioned and has lost lots of time on the water by spacing it out until each failed.

Getting to frustrated will only give the next owner a nice boat at this point.

After the computer the only thing left is the ignition sensor in the distributor.

PS: you are running a new engine at WOT already? What does theshop recommend for break-in?

Ignition Sensor was replaced with all the other ignition parts (plugs, plug wires, coil, distributor cap, rotor, sensor), so that's all new! The Ignition Pickup Sensor is a new model too. The original had exposed metal parts, but the new one is fully sealed with no exposed metal. The Control Module appears to be a new "Conversion" kit that is about $500.00. Probably cheaper over the internet. Not sure why it would be that much, but, it is what it is. So, not sure if I mentioned, I had also had them drop a new starter in, since the starter on the old engine was original (17 years old). I think for all practical purposes, except for the intake manifold, and the new newly rebuilt Weber Carb just done during this work, I have a completely new power plant and new engine mounts, and they also replaced the Bravo 3 stern drive gaskets and prop seal, since they had that off anyway to remove the engine. The shop was great, and worked with me on the total price of the entire job. Kudos to Tim, the service manager at Anna's Marine Center 1855 New Bridge Rd, Mineral, VA 23117, for working with me on the total price. $10,000 total for everything. They just got a repeat customer, although I hope I have no need for their services anytime soon after all this.

I don't have the boat back yet, so I haven't even commenced any "break in" of the new engine. I know you are not supposed to run for long periods at same RPM or at WOT for 50 hours or something like that. I'm sure Tim and his team will brief on this once I pick the boat up. We are at the end of the boating season, so I'm almost of the opinion to simply have him lay it up for the winter and put it to use early next season.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:39 PM   #15
Lt. JG

Well, the beginning of the boating season a couple weeks ago, and I've managed to put about 12 hours on the new engine and after a proper break-in process (no more than half throttle for first hour, not more than 3/4 throttle for the second hour, and vary the RPM's frequently). Able to run at WOT now. She runs good! Was glad to be back out on the lake again!
Old 05-27-2015, 12:05 AM   #16
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolaw View Post
Well, the beginning of the boating season a couple weeks ago, and I've managed to put about 12 hours on the new engine and after a proper break-in process (no more than half throttle for first hour, not more than 3/4 throttle for the second hour, and vary the RPM's frequently). Able to run at WOT now. She runs good! Was glad to be back out on the lake again!

Welcome back to boating, enjoy the season
Old 06-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #17
Lt. JG

Thanks Mike! I intend to! Now, the next project, replace the Helm Seat! The one I have looks brand new (and could be available if someone is looking for one) (always covered when stored with breathable cover), but can't slide adjust it back far enough for "standing" while operating the boat. Keeps knees slightly bent leaning back on the front of the seat. Want to change it out for a helm seat with a Bolster that will flip up and out of the way for standing.