Old 04-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Opinion needed

So, I get the water pump changed out, and this time I pull the drive to check the gimbal bearing and bellows. I hook up all of the hoses and install the blue plugs. I even changed the fuel filter, boy did that gas look bad, but no water.
Anyway everything seemed to be going great. It started up after a few cranks. I partially filled the filter, but it took a while to get the gas to the injectors. Then I see it, oil in the bilge after running 20 minutes or so. After searching all over, I found the leak. It is the timing chain cover. Right at the bottom.

Now do I pull the engine now and fix it, or should I run it this summer and then pull the engine next winter?

I am thinking I can place an oil pad under the engine and collect all of the oil. Then just watch the level. If it was leaking above the exhaust manifold or intake manifold I would take care of it right away.

What do you guys think?

tjwieseler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
Captain

what engine is it?

you can dump a can of the oil stop leak, which reacts with the cork seals and swells them up to stop the leak.

It's also reacts with the air, and drys instanly when it leaks out of the engine stoping the leak... kinda like stop leak for raditiors, or Trans-x for automatic cars.

if it were me i'd take it down now, and then enjoy the season w/o worring about it.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
Lt. Commander

It's a 1997 5.7 EFI, composite timing cover. So no cork gasket. I don't know if I want to put that stop leak into an almost brand new engine. I think it was a bad install by some incompetent mechanic (me)!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-15-2012, 04:55 AM   #4
Admiral

well....what I'd do is see if you can get to the bolts and retorque them down...see if that doesn't fix the problem...it's an easy fix if you don't mind dismantling the front of the engine....there's not a lot of oil or pressure in the front of the engine and where the timing chain is located...so...all your getting is spray...

you could probably get away with the summer provided you keep a serious eye on the oil level....but I'd just try retorquing it first....you may need to pull the harmonic balancer to do it....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

I think that is what I will try. If I remember correctly the pan gasket was a one piece rubber one and there are two studs on the front with 5/16" nuts. The torque specs are 165 inlb. I will try this first. Since it is leaking right there.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
Commander

Have you checked the o-rings on the crank sensor right at the underside of the cover a quick check.When I had my 5.7 redone the guy used the old cover it leaked.I had to pull the motor to redo it I was some ###****they try to save a few bucks.

cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote