Old 08-15-2013, 12:55 AM   #31
Admiral

Ok my previous info is wrong, google doesn't always provide correct info.

Looking in my merc manual for 5.7L intake torque is 35 ft. lbs and yep cylinder head torque is 65 ft. lbs.

Sorry for the confussion

Old 08-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #32
Lieutenant

OK so the more i dig the worse it gets..I decided to pull the heads after I found water in 2 cylinders and a compression check showed 160 150 120 The gaskets looked bad ..(Because the temp guage showed 160 the whole time the block was burning up ) then I saw what may be a crack in the cylinder wall (could be just an imperfection). Any way I,m not going to take any chances.My brother (a mechanical engineer) is going to get this dye and developer that will show any cracks . When I am absolutely sure the block is good I will start assembly. I just don,t want to have to do this twice .I am replacing everything that has to do with the cooling system.So far I havent lost my mind ..Yet

Rick

mrxitmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #33
Admiral

Rick can you post some picture of the potential crack? Also some pictures of the exhaust showing the interface between the manifold and elbow.

May be a scratch and not a crack. A crack would result in very low compression and would be the result of a dropped valve or broken piston. Blocks tpically crack from freezing but this is usually water jacket to the ouside of the block. The cylinder wall is rather thick and requires a catastrophic event to damage it.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #34
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

The 160 and 150 readings are fine, the 120 could easily be the result of a bad head gasket, which would also explain the water. Which cylinders dod you do the compression check on and which had water in them?

Agree with Mike, cylinder walls don't normally crack for no reason; a hard freeze can crack them or something hard gets into the cylinder.

The low compression reading can also be explained by a bad valve (intake or exhaust valve not sealing completely), and water in cylinders can also be cause by a cracked head. Be sure to have the heads completely inspected.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #35
Admiral

Dan is correct about having the heads checked. Burning water raises the exhaust temp and will melt te valve or valve seat which results in lower compression.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #36
Lieutenant

DSCF2763.jpgEverything seems to check out ok so I am reassembling the motor.So far the heads are back on. Progress slow but sure
mrxitmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:44 AM   #37
Admiral

Cool, keep us posted and we always love pictures of the progress.