Old 03-20-2019, 11:13 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Oil spraying out around the front oil pan gasket

I have a 94 Maxum, Mercruiser 4.3. Oil sprays out the corner of oil pan, near the front cover...only when it is driven. Engine # F43101N or the original tag of OF147556 (engine was replaced with a Vortex). I am looking to remove the oil pan and replace it along with the front cover gasket. Question is, do I really need to remove the engine? I can get under that engine pretty easily (I'm not a big person). I did see on a couple of forums that is was possible. Also, I do notice that the oil pressure stays at about 78 psi when cruising around...didn't know if that could have caused the gasket to fail.

loukywells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:23 PM   #2
Ensign

If you replaced the engine does the new one have a plug in the hole that the crank sensor would normally go?

Brianmaxum3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:31 PM   #3
Lt. JG

The crank sensor is there but nothing plugs to it. I could send a pic, but I don't know how.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:34 PM   #4
Admiral

The oil pump pickup hangs down to nearly the bottom of the oil pan so removing the pan will be almost impossible. Plus it’s a lot easier aligning the new gasket with the engine out.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:37 PM   #5
Lt. JG

How hard is it to pull an engine?
Old 03-21-2019, 04:30 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

You kind of need access to an overhead lift, but once you have that figured out lifting the engine is pretty straight forward.
MoonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by loukywells View Post
How hard is it to pull an engine?
Under Documents of this site you can find the mercruiser manual for you engine and in it list the procedure to remove the engine.

In a nut shell.
1. Remove outdrive.
2. Disconnect all electrical to the engine. (Harness connector, Battery negative and positive connections)
3. Disconnect fuel connection
4. Disconnect exhaust
5. Disconnect throttle and shift cables
6. Unbolt front and rear engine mounts
7. Lift engine out (You'll need to figure this out depending on you resources).

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #8
Captain

loukeywells, I believe high oil pressure is the cause of your problem. Oil spraying from a seal is indicative of high crankcase pressure. High pressure is also likely the reason you are replacing the front cover gasket and I assume oil seal.
78psi is high oil pressure, but you should confirm with a test gauge. Most car parts stores will lend one to you. Remove oil pressure sender and plug it in there.
Download the manual for your engine from the documents sections, and check oil pressure range in the tune up specifications. If you have high pressure then first step is to replace the oil filter and be sure you have correct oil viscosity. I suspect that culprit is oil relief valve, listed as 'valve assembly-filter". This valve reduces oil flow to engine pump at high rpms. Without this reduction the oil pump will pressurize the crankcase.
You will need to address the leaking oil pan gasket. You may be able to re-position the gasket with the engine installed if the gasket is still pliable. Back off, but don't remove the oil pan bolts on the stern side of the oil pan. Remove all of the others and lower the pan slightly. Re-position the gasket and add RTV as necessary.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #9
Captain

Assuming that the right viscosity oil is used, specs call for 30-70 psi@2000 RPM. 78 is high but not too far outside spec (not counting the notorious inaccuracy of the dash gauges).

4.3's have had issues with oil pan sealing. I believe they have been revised a few times to eliminate cracking/deforming that was reported after 100-150 hrs of operation. I don't have any tech bulletins, but it may be a topic to research.

jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote