Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Oil All Over Engine Compartment

Hello. New to the forums and somewhat new to boating. I have a 2001 2400SCR. It has the 5.0L with an Alpha drive. Before I talk to a mechanic and start racking up a huge bill I wanted to see if there was an easy diagnosis to the problem I experienced this weekend. Went out for the first time this year on Saturday. Everything seemed fine. Had a decent load of people, but not too excessive. The boat would not get on plane no matter what I tried. There was a strong headwind and choppy seas, but I could never get over 11mph.

Went out again on Sunday with just 5 adults (including myself). Pushed the throttle and started experiencing the same problem. Could not get above 11. In addition the 5 adults there was just a small amount of gear and nothing we haven't had before. Both days I had the throttle pinned and nothing was happening. I didn't notice any odd sounds. It sounded normal. Halfway to where we were going I suddenly noticed the oil pressure had dropped down to about 20. Then a minute later the alarm starts to go off. I was in the middle of traffic so I tried to get out of the way. Alarm still going off intermittently and then the engine stops. Opened up the engine hatch and oil is sprayed all over the interior and there is a decent amount in the bilge. It seems like something must have burst, but we looked and couldn't see any obvious signs of something that would have burst. I did not hear any sounds that would indicate such an event, and before the engine shut off I didn't hear anything odd.

Just wondering since the oil seemed to be sprayed everywhere if a hose or something burst that I could easily fix? And also not sure if the lack of power to get on plane is at all associated with the low oil pressure situation I experienced on Sunday. Thanks for any help.

JMBurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Commander

the only time I had oil spray all over was my oil filter and that was a car same thing.If the engine run out of oil you may have some real damage.check around the filter???is the dip stick showing any oil.

cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
Captain

well, do some investigation:

1. clean it up.
2. check oil for wather or milkly look.
3. check coolent if fresh water cooled.
4. fill it back with oil and let it run.
5. only exterior oil lines are going to the oiler cooler and the filter, right above the power steering pump.
4. lost off oil dose not equal lose of power. there is a youtube video of a v8 running for 10 min with no oil or water in it....
5.my guess is you blew a head gasket under load.
6. oil will only escape with no oil cap, blown gasket of a hole in the block... you'd hear that...
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote