Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #21
Lt. JG

Default Recap and resort

fair enough. For others, as well as for my organization i would like to redescribe the problem to make sure i am as clear as possible, as well as to recap solutions.

- Bought the boat this year, it is a 2008 Maxum 1800 MX with a 3.0 Merc TKS 4Cyl.
- Checked everything out this year before putting it in the water, seemed good. Was told it was winterized by a guy last year. The boat was stored with about 2/3 of a tank, i do not know if there was stable put in the gas before storing.
- Topped off the tank with premium fuel, went to the lake.
- The engine will start for a bit, sputter and then stall out before being able to put in gear.
-Takes many tries, then have to get it to start and pretty much immediately put it into 3/4 throttle to keep the engine running.
- took the boat out and went around the lake at about 3000 rpms for about 25 mins, then when throttling down it stalls back out. Hard to restart, have to give it a lot of throttle to get it going again. This creates a very hard time when trying to dock as i have to come in hot and shut down.
- so far i have pulled some fuel out to see if there is water (no water fuel separator) appears there is no water in fuel.
- ran the engine without the spark arrester on, seemed to run ok but couldnt run for long without muffs.
- Trying to get this thing running good by this friday for Jobbie Nooner so i dont look too much like an amateur having to stall out and such when i pull up. Any and all Help is appreciated, so far im just trying to see what could have changed over the winter and trying to sort out the obvious so i dont HAVE to take it to a boat mechanic.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #22
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
@Mike. Do you know if these carbs use a pilot jet? This sounds a lot like a clogged pilot jet. This was the exact type of issue on my dirtbikes.

Other than the enrichment circuit which uses a temp sensor and solenoid to add gas when cold the rest of the carb is a standard 2 bbl.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #23
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthorn1983 View Post
well got some gas in a jar, let it sit over night, no separation. Also i do NOT have a water/fuel separator in line between my tank and my fuel pump. Any other things i should look at before i go buy a new solenoid for the TKS system? Also, i have a question, should the manifolds be drained of fluids? there are those two hoses that come up to the right of the engine, how often should those be drained?

The two hoses are to drain the engine and exhaust when winterizing the engine.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #24
Lt. JG

good to know, so leave them be during the season? thanks
Old 06-24-2015, 04:36 PM   #25
Admiral

IMO since it will not idle even when warmed up if it is the TKS it would mean the circuit is not closing and running to rich, somehow I doubt this is the issue.

When winterized last was gas treatment used and was it ran to ensure it filtered all the way into the carb, if not gum may have built up in the jets.

A small vacuum leak can cause this issue.

Idle setting could be to low but should not have changed itself over the winter.

Use carb cleaner to clean the flame arrestor and let it dry before reinstalling it.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #26
Lt. JG

MMWJR, thank you, those all seem like relatively simple things to try and correct, i will work on these things tomorrow and update. If anyone has any other suggestions please comment, other then that you guys have been and are awesome! i hope to have a trouble free boating day on friday and for the rest of the summer.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:42 PM   #27
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthorn1983 View Post
MMWJR, thank you, those all seem like relatively simple things to try and correct, i will work on these things tomorrow and update. If anyone has any other suggestions please comment, other then that you guys have been and are awesome! i hope to have a trouble free boating day on friday and for the rest of the summer.

Call me Mike

hope you resolve the issue soon so you can enjoy the season.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:25 AM   #28
Lt. Commander

vacuum is a good call. Definitely check the vacuum lines and also make sure choke is open. pick up some muffs and trying to keep it running while spraying carb cleaner in carb. could possibly need a carb rebuild.
I would give it a full tune up regardless. cap/rotor, wires, plugs, etc.
Let us know when you get it fixed. It's always good to hear what the solution is and helps others in the future.
Keep at it.. you'll get it going again.
BB
Old 06-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #29
Admiral

There are few to no vacuum lines on a boat however vacuum leaks can occur in a carb (bad gaskets), at the carb to intake, or intake to heads.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #30
Captain

Vacuum leak on a boat engine is a bit of a misnomer, as for all intents and purposes, a boat engine doesn't develop vacuum (of any useable amount for operating accessories/systems). Useable vacuum is developed while the throttle plates are closed, and the engine is working to draw air around those plates. When the throttles are wide open, there is very little vacuum in the intake. This is because a boat engine is run with throttles wide open, so the system is open to atmospheric pressure, with no restriction (besides that of the intake passages themselves) to cause a pressure differential.

A better term on a boat engine would be an intake leak, as it is allowing air into the engine without going through the throttles. Since its not metered, it would lean out the engine mixture.

Closed Thread