Old 10-31-2013, 01:35 AM   #11
Admiral

Here's another thought. Not overheating at idle, correct? Overheats at higher rpms, correct. When making higher rpms the boat is underway and not sitting still, correct?

If you answer correct to all question then the problem is the transom hose is disconnected. This is the water hose that connects from the bell housing to the inner transom plate tthe connection you mentioned that looks like a t-stat housing. On bravos this hose doesn't slip over barbs but instead slips though a hole in the bell housing on one end and the transom bracket on the other and is held in place by a small plastic insert that spreads the hose locking it in place. If not installed right or th insert breaks the hose can come out of the hole. If this is the case the water is not being picked up by the drive but at the transom assembly.

When moving at slow speed he boat sit flat can can still suck water at the transom assembly however at higher rpms the boat is on plane and there is a pocket around the transom assembly where no water exists hence the system is starved and will intern overheat.

Run this past your mechanic.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
Lt. JG

Mike,
You are on it. Thanks. Got with my mechanic. We pulled the hose that feeds from the outdrive and at high RPM there is no water flow. Restriction has to be in the outdrive or at the housing behind the engine block.
The sad thing is that my boat has to come BACK out of the water....

Thanks for your help.
I will keep you informed.
Barry

SailingHerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #13
Admiral

Barry,
was the boat underway for this test when you pulled the hose? If so my previous post is the answer.

Good luck
Old 11-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
Lt. JG

Mike, I am new to this site and also new to the boating community. (I'm not sure how to answer your personal email on here. I tried but with no success.)
My mechanic wants to have the boat hauled again to install "thru-hulls" for each engine. I am not sure what to do.
I am still trying to learn the ins and outs of this boat and have so many questions....
I didn't get much of an enjoyable summer here on the East Coast of NC. But there's always next year right?
Old 11-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
Lt. JG

Mike,
To answer your previous question, No the boat was not under way for the test. High RPM at idle.

Thanks again for your help
Old 11-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #16
Admiral

Barry,
I questions the mechanic at this time. If he believes install thru hull water intakes will solve the problem then that means he thinks the real issue is between the drive pick up and the raw water pump. Not very complex so what can't he isolate and fix the real issue?

Since high RPM at idle causes overheat then maybe on of the 2 hoses is colopasing under pressure. May be just the inner part of the hose and not visible on the outside of it.

I would replace hose from inner transom to water pump. Outter hose on transom assy. verify no clog in the drives water passage.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #17
Admiral

One more thought. Have the mechanic verify he didn't pinch the water hose at the transom when installing the new engine. I have see this before.

After loosing a whole season to this i can see why you would be tempted to spend the $'s to do as the mechanic suggest but the proper fix is much cheaper but needs to be found first. Can you post any pictures showing the water hose at the transom up to the pump?
Old 11-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
Admiral

Barry on 11/6 you said

"We pulled the hose that feeds from the outdrive and at high RPM there is no water flow. Restriction has to be in the outdrive or at the housing behind the engine block"

If Iam understanding this right this is the hose from the inner transom to the water pump. Then yes the water flow would be low as this is before the raw water pump that is mounted on the engine. You need to pull the raw water pump output hose between the pump and heat exchanger to see if there is flow. See "a" in center of diagram I posted on 10/30
Old 11-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #19
Lt. JG

You might need a new water pump if you pulled the hose that feeds from the outdrive. This could harm the impeller. As stated before you have to pull the output hose off the pump.
Right now you need to find a new machanic before this guy totally screws up your boat.
Ken Kwasniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #20
Admiral

Before I would pay to have sea cocks installed I would cross over he intake from the good engine to he one running hot.

Remove intake hose at raw water pump on good engine use a coupler and a length of hose that will reach intake of raw water pump on hot engine. If engine still runs hot than sea cock won't fix the problem as te issue is further down stream. If it does fix it than repairing the real issue will be cheaper than installing sea cocks.