Old 08-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Mercruiser 305 Drain plugs

Where are the drain plugs located, and how many are there, on a 305?

Are they fairly accessible? My boat is a SC 19. I have seen recommendations to drain the water and other recommendations to use anti-freeze for winterizing. Are both methods equally effective? Is one preferred over the other.

Thanks Scoop

Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
Admiral

Scoop you did not say what year the boat/engine is. Newer 2000's engine had an option with a single point drain or an air pump to bleed the water out. Old have drains on either side of the block, manifolds, PS cooler, ...

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
Ensign

Its a 2000. I looked at the manuals via the documents tab and kind of figured it out. Looks like drains are in/part of the manifold area. What about water in the hoses?

For the last 15 years my boat was in San Diego so I did not have to worry about winterizing it. Now it is in NJ so it sill be required.

What is a ballpark figure for having it done by a Marina or boat mechanic?

Thanks
Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #4
Admiral

I know a lot of folks drain the water and do not use antifreeze and have no problems.

Me I drain then fill with anti freeze as there is always some water remaining plus the antifreeze has corresion prevention.

Basic winterization is about $200, I do my own for $150 but that includes chaining oil, gear lube, all filter, fresh water system, ... Which would be a $400 job.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:44 PM   #5

I hook mine to muffs and pump antifreeze from a 5 gallon bucket. II have a Bravo III so the water pump is on the engine. I use a 1/4 bilge pump connected to a 10ft hose, then to muffs on the out drive. For me, the 1/4 hp pump acts like the pressure from a garden hose and primes the drive and pump. Once I start the engine and water starts getting exhausted, I can shut off the pump and let the engine draw from he bucket of antifreeze. I have to stand by and continue pouring gallons of antifreeze into the bucket as the system is purged of water and displaced with AF.

Once the exhaust is dumping antifreeze I stop. When I say antifreeze, I mean the -100F Propylene Glycol. I've never had a problem, and we can drop into the sub -0F range at times.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote