Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Ensign

Default mercruiser 3.0 2005 MX engine removal

Hi everyone!

Firstly just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

I love the website and have enjoyed reading some very interesting posts

I bought a 2005 MX last week in a less than operable state. She was bought brand new in Australia after being imported by at the time a Maxum dealership ( no longer operating) She has been neglected and I intend to bring her back to her former glory

I am working on purchasing a new manifold and riser and oilpan. ( the former due to the gaskets not being replaced regularly and the oilpan as it rusted out due to being left out in a storm and water sitting in the bilge ) I could get away with reusing the manifold but don't want to take the risk.

I am currently in the process of lifting the engine out, battery disconnected, wiring unplugged, cables unattached etc.

Firstly I would like to know if there is a post already out there helping out with engine removal for a 3.0 Mercruiser.

I have removed car engines before, have a full accompaniment of tools, engine crane etc.

The Alpha leg was already removed prior to sale so don't have to worry about that one.

I would like to know however

1. is there a certain order in removing rear engine bolts that attach the engine to the bell housing?
2. can the power steering rack stay in place?
3. Can you get away with unscrewing the one nut on the front engine mount or best to unbolt the lowers and remove with mount in place.?
4.how many bolts are there at the rear of the engine?
5 any more helping hints to avoid any obvious pitfalls ?

Thank you in advance- Craig
Lifeguard_aus is offline   Reply With Quote