Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Maxum 3000SCR Diesels?

We are new to the forum but loyal Maxum owners, our second Maxum is a 2000 2800SCR we have owned for 5 years. We trailer the big boat and love it!

We met a nice couple in Friday Harbor that have a 1996 3000SCR. Incredible how much more room. So we got talking about buying the boat from them and there is much interest on both sides.

Here is the really interesting part: The boat was a prototype that has twin Mercruiser diesels. He thinks they were made by BMW and marinized by Mercruiser.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on these diesels? Aslo any thoughts on the 3000SCR. We will trailer this boat also.

Thanks,

Tony D.

TonyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Admiral

welcome to the zoo....first off...those diesels aren't exactly the best engines to own....I've read and know of one individual that had a single with that engine and they don't like to be spun up tight like a gas engine does....you need to stay at or below 2500rpm.....with that being said...if your in a planing hull...and it's geared right..then 2500rpm will be fine...but if your struggling to get up on plane..then...your going to push it harder thus working the engine above 2500 and it's not going to last....
as I said..I have a buddy of mine with that engine...it's now a paperweight....he's been trying to find an engine for about 3 yrs now to replace the Beamer engine......I'd walk away from in if it were me....find a maxum of that size with twin big blocks and b3 drives...you'll be way happier....believe me.....

but that's only my opinion...not that of maxum boats or anything else...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
Ensign

Default Thanks for reply

Thanks for the thoughts. We are not even close to buying it. I am just starting research on those engines. I love the idea of running diesels, much better for constant load. If you friend ever would be willing to discuss on the phone let me know. I can forward my phone number.

It's also hard to think of giving up my 2800 SCR. I am in love with this boat and have many custom add ons.

Thanks,

Tony
Old 07-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Admiral

I will ask if he's willing to talk about his boat...he's kinda sensative about it...last time I saw him..he found an engine up in alaska and had it shipped down....haven't seen him since....

I just drove a few big boats of maxum a few months ago...they put gasser big block engines in them....and with the price of diesel..I'd probably rethink the diesel thing....but that's just my opinion..

where do you have your boat moored??..mines at dagmars landing..we're off to pt hudson this weekend....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
Ensign

I completely understand if your friend is sensitive about a bad experience. I will be doing some more research with diesel mechanics I know. According to the owner with twin engines in that boat he only burns 10 gph. I will verify those numbers. With my single 7.4l in the 2800 I burn 18 gph at cruise, verified with actual usage and a fuel flow meter.

We don't moor our boat we trailer it everywhere. I live in Gig Harbor. I am sitting right now at Deer Harbor on Orcas Island trying out Broadband express and have 1 more day to do on a 9 day trip to the San Juans.

We love to trailer the boat, went to Lake Roosevelt earlier this month for 7 days. The only reason I may move up is for the room and I now have a 2008 Dodge Ram 3500 dually with the Cummins engine to tow. Used to pull with a Suburban, too much for that rig. So even with Diesel prices I can fuel mostly on land and use off-road beacuse I also own an excavating business.

Dagmars is a great place to moor. If I go to a non-trailerable boat I would probably choose there.

Tony