Old 12-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Loose outdrive

Hi,

While doing winterizing I've noticed that my bravo 3 outdrive got some play to the sides. It's hard to tell exactly how much since it will make the steering wheel spin while you playing with it which looking at other boats doesn't seem to be common. Besides this the steering wheel got some play but I can imagine it could be normal since steering is carried by cable etc and its completely different to the car. I bought the boat recently (fall 2012 maxum 2500 2002 merc 5.7) and my survey guy found an issue and previous owner had to perform the steering yoke repair (told me that the cost was over 5k). My survey guy looked at it after repair and said that it looks good but at this point I'm not sure if they did proper repair. It might be that its something more related to steering. Do you have any recommendations where to look? I'm thinking about finding mobile mechanic in my area which could have a look.

Thanks in advance.

forbes210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
Captain

well, its probably is the "tiller pin bushing", which is what the power steering piston connect to, so yes he is right.

You have to pull the engine out, to access the tiller pin and you change the seal at the same time.

look for white salt trails, to see if the ocean water has been dripping in.

this is a poor mercruiser design.

There us a cheaper solution.

they drill out the top of the outdrive cover from the outside and use a bushing kit, that comes with a replacement water tight cover.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
Admiral

I agree wit Pas here it sounds like the upper swivel pin and or steering arm (tiller) are worn. This is a common problem mainly caused by play since folks don't retorque the U bolt tha hold them together. The bolt nuts are seen at the top of the steering yoke on the outside of he transom assembly. ~55 ft-lbs.

Other than that loose or worn steering rack part or cable.

$5K sounds like way to much for this repair and your survey guy should have still not been satisfied if it is not fixed no matter what the cause.

You need to move the drive back and forth while someone is inside letting you know when the steering arm starts to respond this will tell you if the slop is there. Then work back through the system if ok.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

I spend some time last weekend inspecting this issue and gimbal ring and swivel shaft looks good. As a precaution I retighten u bolt with 55 ft-lbs. It could still be between swivel shaft and steering lever although I discovered something else which could be part of the issue. Please have a look at the video showing the issue:

Cable guide tube seamed to be loose and I could move it with my hand. I'm assuming that it will move more under more pressure. I'm planning to remove the risers to inspect them and the same time should have a better access to the steering mechanism (also discovered power steering fluid leak). Any way to tighten it?
Old 12-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
Admiral

If the gimble and swivel pin check out then yes the next area is the in this area. Also the link from he cable to steering arm.

What year is your boat? Is the steering rack steel (black) or shiny? The steel units are know to rust out. Both types have o-ring seals that can go bad.

Mike
Old 12-10-2013, 01:39 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

Its 2002 2500 SCR. Yes its black but it doesn't look rusty. After removing raisers will have a better look and was thinking if possible to deinstall rack and inspected closely. Here's an image of rack and cable guide which seams to have some play. I'll work backward from outdrive to the steering wheel. Thank You Mike!
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Old 12-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
Admiral

2002 would not be the steel unit but the alumnium. The switch was in the mid 90's.
I see you have 2 threads going that are now the same issue. I would just recommend you just post in one. i.e. this one as the thread title best fits the real issue.

PS the link won't work for me.

Mike
Old 02-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

I checked the swivel pin and it looks good. No play. At the same time inspected steering tilt which showed some play. Already ordered new steering tilt and will install it as soon as weather will corporate. Unfortunelly tele flex doesn't sell replacement parts and had to go for entire tilt system. Hopefully that will get rid of most of the play.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
Admiral

Do you mean trim cylinders? i.e. the 2 rams on the outside of the drive.

Did you check the fluid level in the pump? Can you raise and lower the outdrive?

Not sure the trim (tilt) will cause steering (side to side) play

Mike
Old 03-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

Sorry for not being clear. I'm replacing helm steering tilt system. Here's an image for reference.http://www.bakesonline.com/images/20...ilthelm_LG.jpg
Old 03-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #11
Admiral

WOW were we off. You had us all thinking mechanical issues at the back of the boat and not the helm.

Hope this takes care of it

Mike
Old 03-01-2014, 11:50 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

At the beginning i though the same that the problem will be in the back but after inspecting entire steering system I found out that helm unit got some play.