Old 09-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Location of exhaust shutter on 2400

I took apart my drive for some P/M and on the part that is attached to the transom (gimbal?) just below the main bellow, there is a smaller section where there appears to be a rubber shutter. Behind it are lots of grass and nuts? But I cannot figure out if that shutter belongs in the engine or in the drive where it is. Can't seem to find it in parts diagrams and need to find a part number in case it needs to be replaced. 5.0 alpha one Gen 2. 1998. Thanks in advance.

HairyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
Admiral

A picture of what you are talking about would be a big help. Grass and nuts, like a nest? Has this boat been sitting out of the water for a long time?
The shutters should be located inside on the top of the Y-pipe once you remove he elbows and rubber hoses. I strongly suggest you get an aftermarket mercruiser manual it will have all this in it.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
Lt. JG

I have a manual Mike, but I am a Certified Financial Planner. I have very little time to study up on fixing boat engines and out drives. At first I didn't even know what it was, so I couldn't investigate. Then I don't know the name of the part, or I cannot see it in the diagram. I have gotten a lot more familiar with the boat and the manuals as tools in the last two days. Haven't been in the water since 2004 on her. So when I was cruising on her, she was always new. Now I unwrap a mummy... I appreciate all your efforts to help me. I even appreciate the efforts of the guy who asked me if the kill switch lanyard was pulled down by accident. Shouldn't have said I was opening a beer before I turned the key. We'll get this figured out. Thanks
HairyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
Admiral

HL, Not expecting you to become an expert, however for folks like JP, myself and others to provide help we sometimes need a clearer picture of what inquirying folks are talking about. Such is the case here as you titled it exhaust shutter which is inside the engine compartment yet your description of where you are looking is on the outside transom assy. Were not trying to make anyone feel like we are calling them stupid just figuring out the best way to understand the issue so we can provide accurate help.

Remember we are just fellow boaters and not mechanics either and troubleshooting over the WEB is a bit of an art

Mike
Old 09-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
Admiral

HL, here is a picture showing where the exhaust shutter is located. It's labled as number 6 in the picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Y-pipe.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	2975

Mike
Old 09-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
Admiral

HL, from what you discribe made me believe you were looking at the exhaust bellows shown as number 6 in the attached picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bell housing.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	2976

Mike