Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default I'm afraid, very afraid!

Hi everyone, I have not been on here for what seems like forever. Here is my fear. Bought the 2100sc3 at the end of the season 2010 had a full tank of gas and ran it down only a half of a tank.

Had the boat winterized and fuel stabilized.

In 2011 I topped off the tank and only got to use the boat for 3 short trips. Weekends were busy with wedding plans, honeymoon and a bad car crash. I only burned a quarter of a tank. (Waste of marina space and my money)

Had it winterized and fuel stabilized.

Now it’s May of 2012 and there is ¾ of a tank leftover. I have not pulled the tarp off to clean it and install the batteries. I can’t afford a Marina so I was just going to cruise up and down the Connecticut River. Is the fuel any good? Will it tell me that it does not like it when I start it up in the driveway? I don’t want to get stranded on the river. With dead battery issues nonstop on this boat my wife is already getting fed up with it.

Thanks,
Dave

Smithbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
Lieutenant

If it were me Dave, I would pump that fuel out and burn it in my car that is much more forgiving in burning old gas than a marine engine.

Good luck,
ccruser1

ccruser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Thanks ccruser1 I was thinking about doing that and possibly putting it in containers to mow the lawn but I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to get the old fuel out.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Admiral

dave..welcome back and it sounds like you had a rough yr....well...there's a few things you can do..as stated...pump the fuel out and into your car...burn that out thru there...but another thing to try is some HEAT...it's a water scavanger that suspends it and burns it up thru the engine.....you may need a couple of cans of the stuff but it usually works well....so...I'd stick it in the water and run it for awhile close to the docks to make sure it's working before you get underway....then replace the filter ..you may have to replace the filter a few times if it's just a standard spin on.........

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Thanks Seapup,

Glad to be back and looking for at least one year of trouble free boating otherwise it will probably go on the market. I figured I could let it idle in the driveway for an hour with the mouse ears on it and see what it does but I will also research heat. It's really bad of me to own a boat and not know how to work on them at all. Will have to locate the fuel filter and find replacement ones.

Dave
Old 05-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Admiral

dave..I think heat can be had at just about any auto parts store....or west marine...it's used to get water in suspension.....

keep us informed.....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

If the engine has a fuel/water separator, and the fuel has been treated, add some Heat as SP says and then just run the thing.

I had 3 year old gas in my old car when I fired the new engine and it wasn't a problem. If the engine in your 2100 SC3 is fuel injected the knock sensor will deal with any pre-ignition issues that the old gas may present. If it's carb'd just don't load the engine up too much; no WOT blasts. Run it just at whatever speed it needs to get on plane and take your time getting on plane. Burn off enough to get you to 1/3 full then refill.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Lieutenant

Thanks everyone, I will try it and see how it goes. I will then let you know. What are your thoughts on HEAT compared to Seafoam?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Commander

Different products with different uses. Seafoam will do nothing for water in the gas.
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #10
Lieutenant

Gotcha, ok HEAT it is.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Any one ever try the star tron?

Smithbrother.. you also stated you had had problems with dead battery nonstop..... I wonder did you replace battery and still have problem? If so you must have too much draw when not running... Maybe battery switch might be a good option?
Old 05-14-2012, 02:45 AM   #12
Lieutenant

I never tried Star Tron. Yes I have had issues with batteries. Turns out that the stereo amp had been wired to the ignition so it was always hot. Last year after replacing 3 batteries I told the dealer to find the problem and that I wanted everything including the co detector dead when I turned the battery switch to OFF. They said they did it and as soon as I get the boat out this year I hope to have no problems. I like listening to music or cds so I do have a drain sometimes when anchored but I always worry. I believe I will bring one of those portable jump packs with me this year just for peace of mind.