Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-23-2018, 06:48 AM   #1
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 97
Default I think I did something dumb...

So guys...I may have to take some lumps here....

The long and the short of it is I did a ton of work to my engine & drive this winter and finished up putting the last of it together and in my excited newbie haste I wanted to see if the engine would fire...and it did!! Almost immediately and it ran for about 2-3 seconds and I shut it down.

I did this because I didnít have it hooked to water...... I almost immediately thought of my brand new raw water pump that has been sitting in the housing for a couple months now that I just spun dry in the housing.

The question now is, did I destroy or damage it in 2-3 seconds? Should I be worried about that timeframe? Or am I chewing my nails over nothing?

Thanks in advance!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
Kellen

2000, 2100SR 5.7 Alpha 1 Gen 2
Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
Commander
 
jrsick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 256
Default

no problem overboard, this happens. Your engine did not overheat.
Always put a light coat of oil in the impeller housing when you replace it. This helps it seat on start up and gives some protection on a dry start.
__________________

__________________
2006 Bayliner BR205
A1 Gen 2 1.47
5.0 carb engine
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 6,439
Default

If truly 2-3 seconds I suspect it's ok. Start it up again but this time with the hose connected and turned on (I messed this part up once) and see if she is pumping water out the two ports on either side of the transom assembly. If ok take her for a run and take an IR temp sensor with you (I always do this for the first run) and take some temp reading on the block and exhaust to see if anything is reading hotter than it should.
__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
Moderator

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,165
Default

I replaced my impeller this year and after launching, water pressure didn't automatically fill my sea strainer. I opened it and started pouring water into it to prime it. My mechanic was on hand along with another mechanic. Both said "Don't bother. Seal it up and fire it up, the engine will create a vacuum and fill it." I pointed out that I have a 1-gallon sea strainer. Their reply was shut up and start the engine. I did and watched while the strainer filled. It finally started shipping water, but my guess is the system was dry for at least 15+ seconds. (It felt like much longer).

I ran for 3 hours after that and temps held fine. Honestly, I'll probably prime the system the next time. As long as you used a lubricant on the impeller and housing. We sprayed my impellor and housing with Ballistol prior to installation. Ballistol is really a gun cleaner and lubricant, but works extremely well in marine environments and doesn't have issues with rubber, vinyl, or metals.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:23 PM   #5
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
If truly 2-3 seconds I suspect it's ok. Start it up again but this time with the hose connected and turned on (I messed this part up once) and see if she is pumping water out the two ports on either side of the transom assembly. If ok take her for a run and take an IR temp sensor with you (I always do this for the first run) and take some temp reading on the block and exhaust to see if anything is reading hotter than it should.


It was definitely only 2-3 seconds as I just wanted it to know if it would fire, I will have it on a hose this weekend and plan on IR temp sensing it for sure as I replaced the thermostat and exhaust as part of the work, and I want to verify the accuracy of the dash gauge.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Kellen

2000, 2100SR 5.7 Alpha 1 Gen 2
Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
I replaced my impeller this year and after launching, water pressure didn't automatically fill my sea strainer. I opened it and started pouring water into it to prime it. My mechanic was on hand along with another mechanic. Both said "Don't bother. Seal it up and fire it up, the engine will create a vacuum and fill it." I pointed out that I have a 1-gallon sea strainer. Their reply was shut up and start the engine. I did and watched while the strainer filled. It finally started shipping water, but my guess is the system was dry for at least 15+ seconds. (It felt like much longer).

I ran for 3 hours after that and temps held fine. Honestly, I'll probably prime the system the next time. As long as you used a lubricant on the impeller and housing. We sprayed my impellor and housing with Ballistol prior to installation. Ballistol is really a gun cleaner and lubricant, but works extremely well in marine environments and doesn't have issues with rubber, vinyl, or metals.


Iím breathing a sigh of relief sir, I did use a rubber o-ring lube when installing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Kellen

2000, 2100SR 5.7 Alpha 1 Gen 2
Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:53 AM   #7
Admiral
 
Phillbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,011
Default

You got lucky you dummy

Think about how long it take the pump to prime each time you start the boat... 2-3 seconds is fine .....2-3 minutes and I'd be chasing shredded vanes through the cooling system.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:53 AM   #8
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
You got lucky you dummy



Think about how long it take the pump to prime each time you start the boat... 2-3 seconds is fine .....2-3 minutes and I'd be chasing shredded vanes through the cooling system.


Lol..🤪, love it Phillbo...thank you


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
Kellen

2000, 2100SR 5.7 Alpha 1 Gen 2
Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.