Old 06-29-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Hoisting Mercruiser 3.0L Engine from Maxum 1700 SR

Does anyone know if a standard engine hoist, like the one you'd get a Harbor Freight, will be big/tall enough to hoist the engine (Mercruiser 3.0L) out of my 17ft 97' Maxum?

I need to replace the timing cover on my Mercuiser 3.0L/LX in my 1997 Maxum 1700 SR. I know some people say that you can simply remove the front engine mount and then you will have enough room to replace the timing cover. The problem with this approach is it requires you to cut out the front section of the oil pan gasket and re-install the timing cover with only RTV sealant in place of the oil pan gasket. I don't like the idea of taking any chances with it leaking in the future, therefore I'd like to pull the motor out, mount it on a stand so I can flip it upside down, remove the oil pan, then remove/replace the timing cover, using a new oil pan gasket to seal it all up the right way.

Anyways, has anyone tried hoisting the engine out of a 17' Maxum?

ElginAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:08 PM   #2
Admiral

A car engine hoist if set up on the ground will not work as the boom is too low to over a boat on a trailer and too short for the reach.

I had a 22 runabout that I was able to set up a lift in the boat to raise the engine to replace a coupler. You may need to remove the seats to do this.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:17 PM   #3

A buddy of mine rigged up an A-frame he welded out of steel. It basically looked like a gigantic swing set. Then he hung a block and tackle. You had to inch the entire trailer forward and back to get it lined up right. The block and tackle was rigged with a chain and shackle so it could be slid left and right. Once the engine was pulled, we had to pull out the boat, then back in a pickup and lower the engine into a pickup to get it out of there.

When I repowered mine, I used a small crane in the boat yard.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

I had a Maxum 1750SR, and yes, the cherry picker will work fine.
Did it several times. (don't ask)
Speakrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I borrowed my buddies Harbor Freight engine hoist and didn't have any trouble at all. Even with a short length of chain attached to the hoisting points on the motor, it still had plenty of clearance.

Now if I could just figure out something to use as a rear main oil seal installation tool, then I'd be all set!
Old 07-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElginAgain View Post
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I borrowed my buddies Harbor Freight engine hoist and didn't have any trouble at all. Even with a short length of chain attached to the hoisting points on the motor, it still had plenty of clearance.

Now if I could just figure out something to use as a rear main oil seal installation tool, then I'd be all set!
Many auto stores rent seal removal/install tools or Harbor Freight sells them.

Mike
Old 07-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #7
Ensign

Ahh ok thanks for the tip! When I saw the mercruiser service manual called out a special tool my first thought was that I'd have to make a tool out of pvc pipe or something. Now that I think about it I have seen those seal install tool kits at harbor freight.

I read that the front timing cover needs to be aligned with the crank so that the harmonic balancer will make a good seal on the front oil seal. Any ideas on what to use for alignment of the timing cover? I read something about a roll of electrical tape with enough layers removed so it will fit into the oil seal, but that seems awfully imprecise.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
Admiral

Yes seals need to be installed properly to ensure seal and wear but this is a GM auto engine so auto tools will work. Merc has their part number for every tool used even though most are same as auto.

Mike