Old 04-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
Ensign

Default HELP PROBLEM START MAXUM 1750 SR Browaider 1998

hello! My name is Benjamin and I am from Moldova. Sory language they speak. Recently bought yum MAXUM 1750 SR Browaider 1998 Mercruiser 3.0 engine. I want to start the engine but do not know how. I tried to start the engine without giving water but not start. You hear only the sound, but when given to start the engine is not started. I can ask someone has a secret, or can be given on the water though. Moldova us are professionals and have no where to address than just forum. Mercy more people will respond and I'm glad I joined this site.

Venea30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Admiral

Hi Benjamin,
what type of sound are you hearing when you turn the key? Clicking or engine cranking? If clicking check the battery voltage to ensure it is 12 volts and that tebattery cables are clean. If cranking you need to check that the carburetor is spraying gas into the engine. To do this you must remove the flame arrester similar to air filter and pump the throttle to see if gas is being sprayed.

These are the initial things to check but will need more detail if what I list above is OK.

Mike

mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
Ensign

thanks for reply. In fact when I start the engine with the key to the second position not hear anything. Give the first position when it is heard and all the lights on the control panel shows me that they are running, but when given the second position not start the engine. I tried to start the engine with a starter cabru direct method to start the engine, so I concluded that I actually an electrical problem. By the way I checked all the fuses and they are fine. Also in the bottom Right side buttons only work driving sound and barrel that turns on the fan, the rest of the buttons nothing and no idea what I have to help and are. Maybe that can be the problem here do not know!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Admiral

Benjamin it sounds like you may have more than one problem. Let’s start with getting the engine running.

The ignition switch has 3 positions, off – run – start. Off is self explanatory, run puts 12 volts on the positive side of the ignition coil, and the start position (monetary position spring back to run when the key is released) keeps 12 volts on the coil and also applies 12V to the starter solenoid. Is the safety lanyard switch in the run position? When trying to start is the throttle/shift lever in neutral (vertical) or when advancing the throttle did you disengage the shifter by pressing in on the button at the pivot point on the lever? If not the neutral safety switch won’t allow 12 volts on the starter. If all this is OK then you need to see if you are getting 12 volts at the starter solenoid which is located on top of the starter. There is a fuse on the starter as well. Do you have a mercruiser manual and a volt meter and are you familiar with 12 volt systems? If not it may be time to get some local help.

Mike
Old 04-29-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
Commander

Benjamin, there is also a slave solenoid on top of the engine next to the carburetor. Based on the age of the boat that may also be a place to check. The solenoids get worn out over time and even though the switch closes the contacts, they do not conduct electricity. Check out this other thread on troubleshooting. Check out this thread: http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...-starter-motor

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
Ensign

ok I will try all possible ways. I think I'll be able to start. thanks for help. I will write what is the problem if you fix!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #7

Welcome aboard Venea30!!!!

I didn't see anyone reply back to your question about water. You are fortunate that you couldn't get the engine running if you didn't have water running though the engine. The boat either need to be in the water when it is started, or you need to connect 'drive Flush' system.

http://search.defender.com/?expression=muffs

Cover the water pickups with one of these (Above) and connect a garden hose to it so water is running through the system. Otherwise you will burn out the water pump impellor.

It's also still not clear whether you are hearing the engine turn over and not start, or whether you are hearing the starter turn, or whether you are hearing just a 'click', or if you are hearing nothing when you attempt to start the engine.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #8

Moved thread from Electronics to Engine.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Ensign

welcome. I found!. cable was broken near the starter. Now works well and starts. everything is ok. Thanks to all who responded.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
Admiral

Great news! Congratulations on resolving the issue and enjoy the season

Mike
Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Venea30 welcome to the forum... I have almost an identical boat to yours. The swtiches that you referred to would be your horn (honk!), blower (run for 5 min before starting), nav lts (navigational lights - the red/green on the front and the plug for anchor light on stern), anc light (anchor light only), inst lights (instrument panel lights). Think that is all, doing this from memory.
Hope all is well for you now and you enjoy as much as I am! Be sure to keep in tuch out here!