Old 09-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Exclamation gas w 15%Ethanol ?

i was at the gas station when the person told me that the gas i was buying for my boat " Plus " was bad for my moter? Then the person told me the story of Ethanol damages hoses, gaskets and is corrosive to aluminum. Additionally, it because of a lower boiling point, it creates vapor lock. It also has less octane causing reduced engine power output. While these problems may seem insignificant in an automobils it can heart my boat moter? i am now seeing more Gasoline Additive. is there something i should worry about?

edrey1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
Lt. JG

Old 09-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Ethanol danger precautions.

I don't think it's going to heart your boat moter, but it may hurt your boat motor.
Sounds like anything over 10% is not good, and could be illegal.
I always use a fuel additive such as Sta-bil, all season long, and especially while the boat is in storage.
Hogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Ensign

I agree. Buy the highest octane you can get and use an ethanol treatment every time you re-fuel.
I have used Sta-bil as well. But right now I am using Star-tron. Double the dosage when you put it up for the winter
bt63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:35 AM   #5
Lt. JG

I'm going to have to disagree with that last response, buying a higher octane fuel is of little to no value in marine engines unless it is specifically spec'ed by the manufacture or you have a high compression engine. The high octane fuels delay ignition in high compression instances (i.e., corvette engine, race engines, etc.)... with this being said, using 91/92 octane fuel on a basic 4.3L Mercruiser is just throwing your money away.

As for ethenol, that really depends on the year of the boat, newer engines have the appropriate seals and hoses to allow alcohol but most older engines do not. I have a 1996 and will immediately leave a gas station if thier gas contains ethanol... there again, I also wont put it in my 07 explorer or my 02 Mustang... Ethanol is a scam in my opinion, it isn't as effecient as regular gas so the money you save by using ethanol is contradicted by decreased fuel economy.

Just my two cents
jkcoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Sorry English teacher for not spelling " moter wright "! i just thought that you will get the idea ? I don't know what i was think . i thought i was with the buds, Talking shop about boats, motors, out driver. but here you go,I will not misspell motor,I will not misspell motor,I will not misspell motor,I will not misspell motor,I will not misspell motor,I will not misspell motor,I will not misspell motor,I will not misspell motor,I will not misspell motor,I will not misspell motor,And should i not have a beer either. o and sorry it's not the classroom chalk boards. hope this will do !!!! how do you turn on spell check. cause i need it !!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #7
Ensign

I agree that paying extra $ for extra octane that you don't need is a waste. But my basic 2005 4.3L Mercruiser diesels on 89 octane - ethanol treatment or not - and doesn't seem to on 91. Also, the only gas that comes from a commercial pump in my part of Maine and doesn't have ethanol in it is AvGas - 100+ octane, but it has lead in it - and you have to know someone at a backwoods airport to get it. So I'm pretty much stuck with the ethanol treatment - i use it in my cars as well. And for the 150 gallons or so that I burn a year, the extra $.10 per gallon for 91 octane isn't a big deal and it's cheaper than a tune-up that I probably don't otherwise need as well. I agree that Ethanol is an absolute waste.
bt63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:31 PM   #8
Lt. JG

Didn't think you would take it so hard.
It's just difficult to read when spelling and grammar are messed up.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

We are all buds.