Old 09-04-2017, 11:23 PM   #31
Captain

For the block to manifold gasket, go to your local auto parts store. They generally sell a SBC exhaust gasket that has hooks rather than holes for the 2 outermost bolts. This made aligning everything easier.

Lift assembled manifold-riser-elbow in to place, insert front and rear bolts by hand a couple of threads. Then drop hooked gasket in from above, insert middle 2 bolts, and begin torquing. Made it much easier than trying to slide on with gasket over bolts in place or permatexing gasket in place.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:26 PM   #32
Captain

I still had the part number.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/m...690?q=MRG+150A

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #33
Lt. Commander

Kevlar, thanks for the part number and recommendation. I've installed the exhaust manifold gasket on the port side, but will try this one when I do starboard side.
I used the Quicksilver gasket (#27-33395). It appeared to be the same as the one I replaced. The bright silver sealing material used in this gasket is excellent, and a real chore to remove. It was also a low price for a boat part.
This gasket had holes, vice hooks, on each end. I used support studs as described by jparsons and feel confident that the gasket was correctly aligned. Haven't started the engine yet because I am waiting for the elbow gasket to come in. I had not planned on replacing this gasket, but changed my plan during removal process.
I would like to see video of someone lifting "manifold-riser-elbow in to place". I'm sure it's done all the time, and I had planned on doing it also, but could not figure it out. I could not work the exhaust hose off of the elbow with elbow and manifold installed on engine. I had to remove elbow separately and work the hose off with plastic pry tools. I don't think I could have removed it any other way. I've got a 5.0 in a 21 ft bowrider, so I'm kneeling on the rear cushion and reaching out and down to the manifold. No room for second person to get a grip on anything.
I'm going to do the other side this winter, so I would appreciate any techniques you have for this process. Thanks for the reply.

jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote