Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Engine Fluids

OK, the picture below is of my 5.7L Mercruiser 350 engine for my '97 Maxum 2300 SC. I want to ensure that I have all my fluids correct. Can someone please confirm or answer below? I am sorry this is so obvious to most people.

Red Circle - Power Steering using ATF (Dexron)
Purple Line - Dipstick for engine oil
Purple Circles - Engine oilf fill? Also, must I place some in each side?
Blue Circle - Power Trim? What fluid goes in here?
Green Circle - Is this Gear Oil/Gear lube?
Attached Thumbnails
Boat Engine with Markings.jpg  

rip131313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Commander

Hey rip, here are the answers for ya

Red Circle - Power Steering using ATF (Dexron) -- Yes, this is the PS Pump and Dexron III or IV is fine here.
Purple Line - Dipstick for engine oil -- Yes again, engine oil and there are many thoughts here. I use Amsoil Synthetic 15W40, others will tell you to use Quicksilver 25W40 that you can get at Walmart.
Purple Circles - Engine oilf fill? Also, must I place some in each side? -- Yes, it is the fill but you do not need to use both. All oil drains to bottom into oil pan so both go to the same place. I actually have never seen one with 2 there, normally there is 1 and the other has no hole in it.
Blue Circle - Power Trim? What fluid goes in here? Manual calls for Quicksilver power trim and steering fluid OR 10W30/10W40 oil if not available (I think Walmart has this too)
Green Circle - Is this Gear Oil/Gear lube? Yes, this is the Gear Lube Monitor and you use the Quicksilver High Performance Gear Oil, Walmart does have this too, make sure you get the Sterndrive one though as they do sell one for outboards too.

mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
Lt. JG

I used the search function to confirm where my power steering fluid fill was. Great info mccoffey
Cape Charles VA
Firebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:06 AM   #4
Ensign

I know this old - but can you use the quicksilver trim and steering fluid in both the trim and steering reservoirs? My mechanic says use 10w30, but now I’m not sure he meant both or not.
snatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:51 AM   #5
Lt. JG

Default Engine fluids

Pic of manual. Pic of 3 fluids I use.

Power trim and [power] steering fluid is used by both. My power trim reservoirs in lower aft bilge, With yellow caps. These operate The stern drive (up and down) and are controlled by thumb trim tabs on your throttles, gauges on the dashboard.

Same oil used for power steering Fluid. I only use quicksilver per manufacturers
Guide.

Gear lube is much heavier and keeps all the gears inside the Lower stern drive unit lubricated. I loose a little each time im out for more than 4 hrs. But like an ounce or 2 on one of the engines.

Then regular Four stroke engine oil. 25W-40.
Attached Thumbnails
696D04BA-319D-42D3-A7CB-F25DA48080C2.jpg   6CAA680C-9E1C-4569-832B-9E490BFC5F13.jpg  
Cape Charles VA
Firebee is offline   Reply With Quote