Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-06-2015, 11:49 PM   #11
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perry Hall, Maryland
Posts: 5,451
Default

Yes that's what I do if the boat has sat for a week or longer.

If she idles fine after some time the idle speed should be ok as is.

What rpm does it idle at, should be around 650?

Have you checked the choke operation?
__________________

__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:56 PM   #12
Lt. JG
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25
Default

I'll take note of the RPM next time. I haven't owned a Mercruiser or I/O before so not familiar with choke operation. Let me know if there's something specific to look for or change. Thanks, Tom
__________________

twerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:58 PM   #13
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perry Hall, Maryland
Posts: 5,451
Default

Tom have owned a car that had a choke? No difference.

Maybe I just dated myself.
__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:05 AM   #14
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perry Hall, Maryland
Posts: 5,451
Default

Go to the Documents tab on this site and find merc manual #24 on the left hand side, about half way through you will find carb info including how to set the choke.
__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:24 AM   #15
Lt. JG
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25
Default

Thanks Mike. I'll take a look. Much appreciated!
twerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #16
Ensign
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2
Default not interrupt switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calguy View Post
If you have an Mercruiser Alpha drive it is most likely the shift interrupt switch that momentarily cuts power to engine to let gears engage. I had an old Sea Ray that also had the same problem. It needs adjustment often and is a major problem on Alpha drives. My SCR 2400 has a Bravo 2 that incorporates cone clutch so it is no longer a problem.
Although your interrup switch could be out that is not your problem.
Your problem is your lower shift cable.
After time they stretch and it kills the engine because the switch cannot work correctly.
Change lower cable and you will correct your problem
notordinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #17
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perry Hall, Maryland
Posts: 5,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by notordinary View Post
Although your interrup switch could be out that is not your problem.
Your problem is your lower shift cable.
After time they stretch and it kills the engine because the switch cannot work correctly.
Change lower cable and you will correct your problem

Yes the lower cable would be the issue and not the switch but the OP is having issues when shifting into gear not coming out of gear. Have never seen a bad cable cause his problem.
__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #18
Captain
 
Kevlar7r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Tom have owned a car that had a choke? No difference.





Maybe I just dated myself.


I had a pos Toyota once that I had to choke with my palm to start.



Also saved some dudes on the lake one time with a flooded Merc outboard, told them to choke it out with their hands, and it fired right up.
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:33 PM   #19
Ensign
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twerner View Post
I'll take note of the RPM next time. I haven't owned a Mercruiser or I/O before so not familiar with choke operation. Let me know if there's something specific to look for or change. Thanks, Tom
Hey guy's it is not a choke problem if the engine is warmed up and it dies when put in gear.
If idle is set at 650 in gear.
Send me a pm and I'll send you my number. A lot easier that way.
I own a boat shop in the nw and mercruiser is what I specialize in.
notordinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:40 AM   #20
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perry Hall, Maryland
Posts: 5,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by notordinary View Post
Hey guy's it is not a choke problem if the engine is warmed up and it dies when put in gear.
If idle is set at 650 in gear.
Send me a pm and I'll send you my number. A lot easier that way.
I own a boat shop in the nw and mercruiser is what I specialize in.
I won't argue with you expertise but I have experienced a choke not opening causing this problem wether the engine was cold or warm.

If you help solve the problem over the phone be sure to post the results here for all to learn from, thanks
__________________

__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
idle, mercruiser, stall

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.