Old 07-29-2016, 01:51 PM   #71
Lieutenant

Changed fitting and it started and ran well (in the driveway). It did stall once and it seemed to have no fuel. I gave the throttle a pump and no squirt. I also pulled the line from the tank to the separator and it was full of fuel so I believe it's pulling from the tank fine. I gave it a small shot of ether and it fired right up and ran. For experiments sake I shut off while running fine and pumped the throttle and still no squirt. Am I under the wrong assumption that I should see a good shot of fuel? I feel the accelerator pump is working because when running I can give the throttle a good romp and no hesitation. Also, under normal operation should the fuel/water separator be plumb full? When I remove mine after shutting off the engine normally, it is about 3/4 full.

JoDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:13 PM   #72
Admiral

Yes you should see it squirt so the accelerator pump is not working or the ports are clogged.

Have no idea about the level in the filter as I have not paid that much attention when changing mine.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:31 PM   #73
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I think at this point I would by-pass as much of the boat's fuel system as possible.

Set up a temporary 5 gal tank on the deck and run a fuel line from it directly to the input of the pump. Make sure the temp tank has a vent, or place it in a larger container to contain any spills and leave it open where the fuel line goes in.

If it runs fine with the temp set up the issue is between the pump and the tank, if the same symptoms present themselves it's the FP or carb.

It almost seems like the carb float is somehow getting stuck in the closed position intermittently.

Another thing you could try when you find there is no squirt when you pump the throttle. You can fill the carb fuel bowl through the bowl's vent tube using a small syringe and small diameter length of hose. Inject about 1/2 cup of gas then immediately see if you get a squirt.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:45 PM   #74
Lieutenant

Yes there was definitely a problem with the accelerator pump

I can't blame the shop that rebuilt the carb, that was all me. I had taken the top off to check the fuel in the bowl and apparently mangled the seal in the process of putting it back together. Everything seems to be running as it should now and will hopefully get it out soon to test.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:37 AM   #75
Lieutenant

Well, took her out for a successful run today. About 4 miles overall and no problems. Well one unrelated issue with the pump for the outdrive tilt but that will be another thread. It looks like that gunked up anti siphon was the problem all along. At least all the other things I fixed needed to be done regardless. Anyway, thank you everyone for all the input.