Old 05-20-2018, 10:30 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Dead 4.3 help me!!!!

I have a 1995 maxim 18ft w/4.3 mercruiser (ran without an issue all last summer) last fall when I went to take it out for the season I had this happen....went down to hit the key and got a click and that’s it..now I thought dead battery..charged it and still got a click... now the click I thought was the relay on top of the engine so I replaced it..turned the key still got the click...narrowed it down to the 50amp breaker on top the engine is what’s clicking..and I can’t push the button in..now for my question. Is that what could be the only issue? Everything’s new now except for the fuel pump and that breaker...also it ran 2 days before this happened..Im really hoping that it’s just the breaker but I figured id ask around before I go spending money on something that I didn’t need to..any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks —one frustrated maxum owner
Attached Thumbnails
D4D30FCA-EE4B-40BC-8469-3410E62DF804.jpg  

Mattchew0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:54 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard.

I don’t think it’s the engine breaker as it would only click once and be open and you would have power at all.

From what you have described I would start with weak batteries then the slave soleniod both of which it seems you have addressed. Next is the starter and or locked engine. Remove all spark plugs and see if you can turn the engine over by putting a socket on the crank balancer center bolt and turn counter clockwise. If you cannot turn the engine she is locked. Before using the socket you can try the starter to see if she spins.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:32 AM   #3
Ensign

Well it only clicks once when you turn the key at that 50 amp breaker..the starter shouldn’t be bad it’s only a year old but I suppose I’ll have to take it out and test it..if it’s the starter it’s going back being that it’s under manufacture warranty still..engine isn’t locked up I can guarantee that
Old 05-21-2018, 12:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattchew0811 View Post
Well it only clicks once when you turn the key at that 50 amp breaker..the starter shouldn’t be bad it’s only a year old but I suppose I’ll have to take it out and test it..if it’s the starter it’s going back being that it’s under manufacture warranty still..engine isn’t locked up I can guarantee that
Check what Mike suggested, the slave solenoid can be your problem.
Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:00 AM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattchew0811 View Post
Since the salve soleniod is next to the breaker that’s what you hear clicking. You have done nothing to disprove the engine is not locked. Pull the spark plugs and turn to key, very easy test to see if it spins and much easier than pulling the starter. If she spins you know the starter works and most likely the engine had water in a cylinder. No spin then it could still be the starter or locked engine.

I hope you are correct and the engine is not locked.

Mike
Old 05-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #6
Ensign

It’s not clicking at the solenoid I’ve tryed Time and time again it clicks at the 50amp breaker no joke...and the motor is not locked up turns over just fine with a breaker bar on the crank...can’t use the key to try cuz like I said it clicks on top of the motor and nowhere else when I turn the key the solenoid is brand new so it’s not the issue...your supposed to be able to push the red button in on the breaker but it doesn’t...even using a tool to help push it in doesn’t help.. I’m very good with all things mechanical but this one has me stumped was just hoping someone else had the same issue as me at some point
Old 05-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #7
Admiral

Ok great, glad you can turn the engine over with a breaker bar.

Time to break out the voltmeter. First measure the battery voltage while the key is in the start position to ensure it's not dropping off. Then measure for voltage on the YELLOW/RED wire on the slave solenoid when the key is in the start position and on the starter solenoid. If both of these read 12V pull the starter but leave it wired up, jumper from the starter body to the negative terminal of the battery with jumper cable and turn the key again to see if the starter spins.

Mike
Old 05-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #8
Admiral

Here is the wiring diagram

Click image for larger version

Name:	engine wiring.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	5461

Mike
Old 06-03-2018, 07:14 PM   #9
Ensign

So in my digging around and trying all of why you said all is good but one thing I noticed is when I turn the key I don’t hear the fuel pump turn on I took the line off of the carb and no fuel comes out when I turn the key on..I remember when I bought the starter a year ago the guy at hallberg marine said these systems alternator/starter/fuel pump run in sync with each other and if one fails the boat won’t start could this be my issue...is the fuel pump maybe bad?
Old 06-03-2018, 08:33 PM   #10
Admiral

The pump will not run with the key in the run position from being off. It will run when in the start / crank position as this is when it gets power from the starter. Once started there is an oil pressure switch that closes and provided power to the fuel pump.

Does fuel come out of the line when cranking?

Mike

Tags
4.3, electronic, engine, maxum 1800sr