Old 03-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default De-winterizing advice

I've decided to move to another marina for this season. The motor is currently winterized and was done by my current marinas mechanic. Should I have them de-winterize it before moving it? I do't want any problems and have the new mechanic put blame on the winterization done by the old mechanic. This was my first winter.

Thejanitor000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
Commander

If the winterized your motor, drive, a/c, etc, I would have the current marina do the work and ensure it all is ok before moving on.

jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

I always keep my boat in two spots, a marina for the winter (on land) and then move it to my slip at another marina. I do the all the mechanical work myself so "de-winterizing" is easy but if you're unsure about the procedures than have your current mechanic get it ready for launching. After the engine(s) and all the systems run well you can move on to your new "marine paradise"....
Capt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
Admiral

I am curious what you mean by de winterizing? Your boat should be all ready to be put back it to the water. Are the battery/ies out of the boat or hoses not back on? Other than the block being cracked what else could be caused by your mechanic's responsiblity when they did your winterization?

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Thanks. I'm not familiar with the process so I'll definitely let the current mechanic handle it and be sure all systems are a go before making the move.

Winterizing included fuel stabilized, engine, manifolds and intake drained and fogged, anti-corrosive spray all over the place, all fittings greased and lubed, batteries removed and connectors treated, etc. I've always read about owners finding something wrong after it's been sitting all winter.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
Admiral

If this process has been done properly you hook the battery back up in your boat... dunk it in the water.. start it up and check for leaks.....done. Sounds like you are new with all this and I am trying to help you on this process. About the only mechanical that you do in the spring is a tune-up...everything else gets done in the fall.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

TJ000,

Do you know if the marina mechanic ran any antifreeze through the engine/drive just before they fogged the engine?

Regardless, if you had the marina mechanic winterize the boat I would be inclined to keep it at its current location and have them, with you present if at all possible, carry out the Spring commissioning. Once you take the boat off their premises you provide them with the "oppertunity" to claim "someone else musta done it" if something goes wrong.

What marina is it at, and where ya taking it?

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
Lieutenant

I always have performed my own winterizing and spring de-winterizing. Even though I change the oil and filter in the fall process I also change it again in the spring in the belief that water condensation may have occured and I want to be sure that I do not have water in my oil once it is in it's slip. I also replace the plugs each spring and replace the water pump impellor in the drive unit. It is also a good idea to run it for a while to let it heat up and check the cooling system for any leaks prior to launch. That alone can save you a lot of aggravation. Best to have a problem in the driveway than on the water.
ccruser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
Lt. JG

Thanks for the advice Roger but I'll stick to the mechanic this time around. I feel like there's more to this process & I don't want to cause my own problem. I'll be sure to get more involved next time around.

Dan, that's exactly what I want to avoid. Definitely don't want to begin the summer with one mechanic blaming the other for something. I'll probably get him to get the ball rolling before the end of the month. Antifreeze is definitely part of the picture. It's at Harbor Cove and I'm moving to Rhode River Marina.

Had alot of tinkering done last summer after I bought it so hopefully I'll have a problem free summer.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #10
Lt. JG

D
Old 03-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Sounds like a plan, TJ.

The Rhode River is nice. We kept our boat a little North of there at a marina on the South River but made several trips into the Rhode.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:40 AM   #12
Lt. JG

I'm looking forward to it Dan.

Engine is now de-winterized, all new batteries in, all fluids changed and she fired right up today. Now the d^* motor won't go down & trim not working! Why me! Guess that qualifies for a new thread. :-)

Darren