Old 12-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #31
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Sounds like tons of fun J. Well, ok - maybe not so much.

If you think you've had bad days in the past just wait until you experience the joy of starting to tighten the last head bolt to spec and then having it strip the threads in the block. So be carefull with the taps and dies. They are designed to cut and the last thing you want to do is remove material from the threads.

Take your time, be methodical. Remember the old adage; there's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:43 AM   #32
Commander

Got down to my boat on Sunday (argh, football day and I'm in the bilge!) Ran a tap through the threads, installed the lifters, and cleaned the deck of the block. That's about all I could do without the gaskets. Took the day off tomorrow to start putting it back together. My marina has mechanics, so if I get stuck (which I probably will) I can touch base with them. They did get me the entire gasket set, but I noticed the FelPro gasket I got now include an additional hole. My original head gaskets didn't have this hole. I see my head has a large triangular hole which covered 2 holes on the gasket, now it would cover the 3rd. I'll see what my block looks like, I doubt it has the 3rd hole. If it does, great. If it doesn't, know way to drill that with the block in the boat. I'll check with the marina parts guy on whats up with the 3rd hole. BTW, damn gaskets are expensive. There are probably better prices online, but if I pick wrong, then I go through delays. Getting them at the marina, well, if they are wrong, they can get me it quicker and know better (I think). The intake gasket set I got didn't include the front and rear gaskets, so I'll just lay a bead of sealer. The good thing is my boats canvas work is finally done, all new glass, bimini, and I had installed a rear bimini with a full camber back enclosure, 5 sections, each with privacy screens. I had a mooring cover all this time, spent a lot of time taking it off, putting it on. Now with the camper, just zip out the mid section. Keeps me out of the elements a bit as well. Same shop also is redoing all the vinyl in the cockpit, so I hope to finish up with this motor and get to polishing the cockpit area since the seats are now off, much easier this way.

One thing, since my outdrive is off, I figured to disconnect the water hose off the back of the engine near the transom and run a garden hose for water supply when I'm ready to start this up and see (really hope) it work okay. As long as it starts, I'll be happy. I'll worry about timinig and carb adjustment in the spring. Then drain the block and fill with AF (again).

There has been a lot of really good help from everyone on this thread. I'm saying thanks to all cause I have really appreciated it.

jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #33
Admiral

Don't worry too much about the extra hole in the gasket J, it's probably for water circulation in certain applications. You'd have a bigger problem if the issue was reversed; a hole in the block and head but no cooresponding hole in the gasket.

But I understand your hesitation. I would get the S/N off the block and get ahold of Merc to find out what P/N they have for it, then call some parts stores to see if you can find it anywhere. Don't put a bunch of faith in the marina - they don't have the same vested interest as you do with this turning out well.

Dan
Old 12-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #34
Captain

so now that your all fixed, can we ask how you blew the head gasket?

i'm told that people who change props or have thw wrong one on, tend to blow the head gaskets or engine more due to the wrong engine load based on the engine horse power to tork rpm curve...
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #35
Commander

Got it all back together, no extra nuts or bolts (that's always a good thing). Started it up (with no water hooked up) only for a couple of seconds though, turned it off, filled it with -50 AF and called it a season. I'll deal with the timing and carb adjustments in spring time. I have no idea what blew the head gasket. The bravo 2 I have has the standard props, I think they are about 18 inches. I don't think my motor ever overheated, but then again, the temp gauge always read a bit low, around 130 or so, I'll check that out more when the time comes. I'll know more in the spring time after I hook up water and let it run for a while. I'll probably have to do several oil and filter changes to get the oil all clean. My next project is dealing with the remote control shifter and switches. I have to play it a bit to get it in "neutral" so the ignition switch starts the engine. Another project for warmer weather. The camper back came out nice, and when I'm done compounding and polishing it in spring, I'll post some pictures. The seats are still out for new vinyl, figure they'll be done soon as well. I guess time will tell on the condition of the motor, if my work paid off or not. If it didn't, I'll be looking at a 383 stroker from Michigan Motorz probably.
jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #36
Admiral

Well done J, I'm sure it felt good to hear it run.

No left over nuts or bolts is a bonus. LOL

Dan