Old 05-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Ensign

Question Cross referencing parts/gaskets

Hey there, I am a new boat owner, not a new boater. I am a well experienced mechanic. I am already learning that if you are looking for a part for a "mercruiser 5.7" you are going to pay three times more than a part for 70something chevy. I know some parts you need marine issue, but belts and gaskets...etc. I am trying to find what base gasket cross references into the auto industry for a mercarb. I have a 2 barrel 1996 5.7. Does anyone know what car used that rochester base shape? Thanks

Indymek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #2

What a blast! Somthing to consider using non marinized parts......
Specially in the fuel system, Every boater should check out this link.... http://www.boattest.com/Resources/vi...px?NewsID=4103
I'll bet the buyers were impressed to say the least!! Regarding maintenance and inspection of our marine fuel systems: It's like voting in Chicago; DO IT EARLY, AND OFTEN!!!!!

Bella Sera

Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
Admiral

Too funny BS

but true...if it's meant for a car...keep it on the car...There's a reason for these things costing so much and being named mercruiser.....it's cuz they are coast guard approved.....a belt or piece of hose is one thing....ANYTHING to do with the fuel or electrical systems must be marine grade...welcome to the zoo....but please don't mix components from the auto world...it could ruin your day...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Kinda funny you bring that up. I just paid $42 for all new Mercarb gaskets. Kinda pricey considering it was only gaskets and not a rebuild kit. I have found complete kits online for $50-60 however. There is very little that is compatible in the marine world from the auto world, so it is worth the piece of mind to pay a little more.
Watered down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #5

You said it SP / Watered down, Can you imagine if someone was standing on those engine hatches. Like Jackie Gleason used to say in the Honeymooners - " TO THE MOON ALICE!!!!" Those folks were just plain lucky that they wernt seriously injured or worse killed. Never go cheap with stuff that matters.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #6

Nobody cares that they saved $50.00 when they're treading water while watching their boat burn. Or think of it this way. Would you be willing to pay $50.00 to NOT set your boat on fire? How about $50.00 to NOT sit at the dock/boat ramp twisting a screwdriver or wrench all day while family and friends stand there with cooler's in hand asking how much longer until they can go out?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
Captain

dear brothers and sisters......(ha ha)

we all know that if if you need a stainless steel screw and buy it at the building market you pay 10 cents....but if you buy the same one at a boat shop you have to pay a dollar (well here in the netherlands we do) so for all the boatowners, or for them who wants to buy one.......it's an endless story of paying a lot of money....boating is ****ing (sorry) hell expensive........( here in the netherlands).......your money goes straith down to the drain

BUT SO WHAT..........THE FUN YOU GET BACK........

if you want to save money...........sell the boat........stay home........close the door....etc etc but please for you own safety...if you keep yhe boat..... buy good and original stuff for your boat......(floating on the lake with a machine that stoped working because you thought you could save a few bucks is no fun at al....)it will save you a lot of trouble......

bla bla bla (i dont know how to put funny icons next to my story etc etc......) i'm talking like a chicken without a head......or something like that

bey bey, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed & inge View Post
dear brothers and sisters......(ha ha)

we all know that if if you need a stainless steel screw and buy it at the building market you pay 10 cents....but if you buy the same one at a boat shop you have to pay a dollar (well here in the netherlands we do) so for all the boatowners, or for them who wants to buy one.......it's an endless story of paying a lot of money....boating is ****ing (sorry) hell expensive........( here in the netherlands).......your money goes straith down to the drain

BUT SO WHAT..........THE FUN YOU GET BACK........

if you want to save money...........sell the boat........stay home........close the door....etc etc but please for you own safety...if you keep yhe boat..... buy good and original stuff for your boat......(floating on the lake with a machine that stoped working because you thought you could save a few bucks is no fun at al....)it will save you a lot of trouble......

bla bla bla (i dont know how to put funny icons next to my story etc etc......) i'm talking like a chicken without a head......or something like that

bey bey, ed
Ed,

Next time why don't you be a bit more direct!!!! LOL Tell it like it is....good policy! Happy 2010 boating season to all fellow Maxum owners with their overpriced gaskets......
New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
Ed,

Next time why don't you be a bit more direct!!!! LOL Tell it like it is....good policy! Happy 2010 boating season to all fellow Maxum owners with their overpriced gaskets......
hai brian......

i always try to.... but because english is not my mother lanquish (is that correct...i dont know) i breake my fingers on the laptop trying to type it a little bit understandable....(you see just like this now..... here i go again....so i'll stop now)....fun fun

greatz, ed
Old 05-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Even though English is not your "native" language Ed, you always manage to get your thoughts/message across.

I applaud your effort!

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
Captain

10 times txs

greatz, ed
Old 05-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
Ensign

I understand that when it is a matter of safety, buy the $$$$$marine$$$$$ parts. Just so you know...I bought a water pump from an online marine parts store. The "marine" water pump for a mercruiser 5.7 (Small Block Chevy) was $132.00. I took that pump to Advance auto parts. They had the exact same pump, exact casting numbers, parts, etc, It was 31.99 at Advance, with a one year warranty. So, call me foolish or cheap or crazy, but $100 is at least 30 gallons of gas...Thats alot of time on the water. I guess nobody cares about that. I may sell it and go back to auto racing.
Indymek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #13

The Price difference is usually that the impeller is made from a non corrosive material such as bronze so that the abusive marine environment doesnt eat it up like a lion eats baby zebras! I would only spend as much money on your boat as you want it to work trouble free- For me though, I figure that boating is down right dangerous unless all the things that have to work, do reliably, and not fail resulting in injury or death. Not fun.

Happy and Safe boating season to all!! Let the Games begin!!!!!

Bell Sera