Old 04-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Converting 5.0L carb to MPI or TBI.

This might sound really expensive but was wondering if anyone had or know who has converted a 2004 5.0 2 barrel carb to MPI or TBI fuel injection. Would it be just a good to go with a 4 barrel intake manifold and a Holley 4 barrel?

MAXUM2500SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #2

I converted from Carb to MPI. All I needed to do was remove my carbuereted 7.4 nd install an MPI 8.1. simple and only cost about $15K installed.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Admiral

That's a good one :-)

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Captain

yes, those upgrades, are a huge expense for an old boat that is deprecating.

your always better selling, and buying a boat with the equipment already.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I guess it depends on what your goal for such a swap is, and how much, if any, of the work you can do yourself. It's going to be an extensive, and fairly expensive, swap though to go to MPI or even TBI, as both require higher fuel pressure, sensors, ECU, ect-etc. If you're goal is increased MPG I think it would take quite some time to re-coup the initial expenditure. Might be cost justifiable if you could find a complete MPI engine with a cracked block that you could use.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
Lieutenant

I have a 1995 2400 SCR and upgraded to a Mercruiser 350 Horizon with MPI and FWC. Will never look back as have had the engine for 5 years and it runs like a swiss watch. Imagine having an engine in your boat that runs as dependable as the one in your car. That's what it is like. Fuel usage is at least 30% leas than a carb set up. Carburetors belong in the stone age. If you have the means....up grade to MPI ASAP.
Calguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
Commander

Here's a good thread about a upgrade to TBI fuel injection.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779506

Todd
9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #8

I don't think there is a question of whether Fuel Injected is better than a carb. The question is, is it feasible to upgrade a carb engine to Fuel Injected. My engine was blown, so it was a no brainer. If you're engine isn't blown, then it would be a ridiculous proposition cost wise for what you're getting out of it. Keep in mind, you'll be throwing thousands of dollars into a 9 year old BOAT engine. There is NEVER a shortage of things to throw money at in a boat. Choose wisely.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
Captain

MPI- mulit port injection, one per cylinder, this would be an expensive upgrade as I have seen just the manifolds and heads go for $3,000.00

TBI- throttle body injection, is two fat injectors that sit under throttle buttery fly valve, as seen on my 1991 Cadillac car, is an option, but your need the computer, co2 sensor, etc, so outside of a crate engine for $6,500.00 you could put that money into a newer boat with a wood grain dash.....
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
Lt. JG

TRUE TRUE. Thanks for the insight. I will probably go with a four barrel and hi rise just to bump up the HP to 240 or so. I think that is the way to go.
MAXUM2500SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Just one point I'd like to add for others that may consider this.... I had a 2.8 car with MPI, spun some bearings thus needing to replace. Tried taking an older carburated angine and work the MPI system onto it. Would not work, ran like s@#T. After a little more resaerch found out that cams were different, timing was way different and a few more issues I can't remember. Essientially the carburated engine could not be converted without some very extensive work. Luckily I found an identical engine to my original, used it and sold the carburated one for profit