Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Clicking when starting

Went out on Sunday and got a clicking sound when starting. Fired right up after 3-4 attempts and enjoyed the day. Stopped and started several times during the day with no problems. Charged all batteries and cleaned all connections yesterday. Same clicks on the first 2-3 attempts. Fired up right afterward and ran fine. Any thoughts? Starter maybe?

Thejanitor000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #2

Is there a single 'click'? It sounds like either the starter solenoid is going or the connection to the starter might be corroding or loose.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
Lt. JG

It's several clicks. It clicks as long as I hold the key in starting position. Sounds kind of like something isn't catching.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Lieutenant

I would think if the battery is charged and terminals clean, it has to be dirty or loose connection somewhere. I'd start with the starter connection like Shrew said. Then check and clean the solenoid terminals.
JoDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Lt. JG

I'll start there this weekend.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #6

I would expect the solenoid to only click once, when contact is made. If it is going "click, click, click, click, click" while you hol dthe key in the start position, that sounds like the starter.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
Captain

Could you have a weak battery? That is the first thing I'd check.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:48 AM   #8
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsick View Post
Could you have a weak battery? That is the first thing I'd check.
That was the first thing I did. Charge the batteries & cleaned the connections.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
Lieutenant

I had a similar thing happen with my 2004 3.0 Mercruiser a while back. On starting it would just click and not turn over. After a few tries with it just clicking it turned over perfectly and then like you said worked fine all day. Checked all connections and battery.
Turned out to be the SLAVE starter solenoid had gone bad. (You could feel/hear it was that clicking half way up the engine block above the main starter.) Much cheaper to replace than the main starter. I think you can use thick wire to jump the slave to test and feed the main starter direct but I try to avoid sparks in the engine bay!!
Has been perfect starting ever since. When I broke apart the old slave starter, the spring and plates inside had obviously corroded. I believe the plates slam together when voltage is applied and the clicking is them moving but not hitting each other or making enough contact?
Of course you may not have a slave starter on yours but hope that helps anyway. Good luck!
Cheers, Lee
Old 08-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

In general, if you turn the key to start and hear 1 click but the engine does not crank at all - no movement, it tends to be the actual starter motor itself. The motors have brushes (4 usually) and commutators (which the brushes contact) and the commutators are made up of many segments. The brushes ride on the surface of the commutator - which creates sparks and is why marine starters are sealed). When you turn the key to start power goes through the brushes and into the commutator which then causes the motor to spin. Because power (voltage and amperage) is applied so abruptly sometimes one of those segments gets damaged enough that when a brush lands on it cannot complete the circuit and the motor won't spin. Or, if the brushes are becoming worn out. Repeated abrupt application of power can sometimes nudge it just enough that it will spin (as can hitting the side of the motor housing with an hammer) but the symptom will likely keep happening.

If you get multiple clicks; click-click-click while holding the key in the Start position it's likely going to be a weak battery, weak connections, or a bad solenoid.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:21 AM   #11
Lt. Commander

It's either battery related or the starter is on the way out.....
Capt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:11 AM   #12
Commander

Check out this thread: http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...-starter-motor
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
Ensign

Just dealt with this issue on my 2001 2100. After my (old) mechanic left my battery switch on 'both' for a week, I charged both batteries and they checked out on the volt meter, we were on the water, with radio on as usual then the boat would spin the starter motor but not turn the engine over. Batteries still checked out on the volt meter. Took the batteries to Advance Auto and the battery I was running the radio on was fine but my cranking battery was shot (thanks mechanic). Bought a new battery and am sure to run eletronics while floating on the old battery and save the new one to be sure to get home, all has been fine since.
That was only one part of how that mechanic visit was an expensive learning lesson!
RoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #14
Lt. JG

I'm definitely getting one click. The marina mechanic tells me it's the starter. Strangely, I've been out twice in the past two weeks and the problem hasn't repeated itself but I'm going to replace the starter anyway.

Nothings worse than wondering if your toy will work when you want to play with it!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #15
Lt. Commander

Make sure your ignition switch is not rotating past the point of the "start" position. Mine was doing that, and I didn't notice until it started rotating all the way around. It would just kick the starter out and then nothing since the switch went past the start position.
tjwieseler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
Commander

Janitor, Troubleshoot the starter solenoid before investing in a starter. Follow the link in my above post for the troubleshooting procedure. I replaced a starter and mine still made a single click with no movement, turned out to be the solenoid, so I spent money I didn't need to.

-JP
Old 09-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #17
Ensign

I just dealt with a similar issue. I ended up discovering one battery needed to be replaced but that was not solved the problem. I got under the engine and discovered the starter was loose. Upon closer inspection I found the main bolt that mounts the starter to the engine was in the bilge! I reinstalled the bolt and the problem is gone. So, check the bolts as well as the eletric connections/current.
RoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #18
Commander

Bring a buddy. One person turn the key, the other person listen where the click is coming from. I've been there a few times, turns out to be the slave solenoid more times than any other thing.
jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:03 AM   #19
Lt. JG

Turned out to be the starter. Thanks for all of the comments.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #20
Commander

thanks for the update janitor.

-JP