Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-19-2015, 09:43 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Broken through-transom lube monitor fitting on Alpha 1 Gen 2 - 2300SC

I'm midway through a bellows service on my 2300SC... despite taking great care when removing the old gear oil line at the transom end, I managed to snap the plastic spigot while prying the hose off... initially I thought it would need an engine out job, but I have read on other forums that it should be possible to replace the through-transon fitting without taking the engine out... however, I can't find any posts that relate to the 2300SC, which is extremely tight behind the engine.

Does anyone have any experience/suggestion(s) as to how I should proceed... and/or how much I should expect to pay if I take the boat to my local dealer in the hope he has a contortionist small child that can do the job?

Thanks in advance!

Simon

SimonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
Admiral

Not sure how the access is on you boat but my 2400 SCR is poor and being 6'3" makes it worse.

If just paying a mechanic to replace this part and you finishing the job I would think 1 - 2 hours of labor on his part. Not sure of labor cost in your area but ~ $100 per hour.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks Mike... I am similarly 6'3" (and not a contortionist), so that was where my head was already heading, although I'd like to do it myself if humanly possible... that said, I can't even see the fitting (even with a mirror)... I did read somewhere that access might be easier if I remove the steering rack from the transom, but even that doesn't seem obvious... anyone have any thoughts on that?

Cheers,
Simon
Old 04-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #4
Lieutenant

I had the same thing last fall. If you take a look at the new part it really goes together very easily. I am 6' and was able to get it in but did have to remove the exhaust riser in order to make the reach. Had to put in new riser gaskets because of this. It was good to look inside of the risers to see what kind of corrosion was happening in there too.
spydermann22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:31 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Thanks Spydermann... call me a chicken, but for $100 I think I'm going to get my local Mercury dealer install the part (especially as it's howling a gale and pouring with rain outside right now), then carry on with the rest of the service myself, when the sun comes out again!... will let you know how it goes
Old 04-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #6
Lt. JG

$150 well-spent in my view... boat is back with new fitting installed by my local Mercury Dealer... they removed the wood bulkhead behind the back (which I didn't think was possible?) to get to the fitting (if anyone wants to try it themselves in future?)... and, fortunately, did not reinstall the bulkhead, yet, so I can get easy access to the shift cable... hope this thread helps others with a similar issue in future?... good news is you don't need to remove the engine (which was my first fear!).

Cheers,
Simon
Old 04-21-2015, 10:47 PM   #7
Admiral

Wow that was quick, usually this time of year they are backed up with work.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:59 PM   #8
Lt. JG

Timing is everything... fortunately it was raining (Biblical rain!), when I called... so they couldn't work on the boats outside and could squeeze my little 23 footer inside... all good!

Cheers,
Simon