Old 10-03-2017, 12:14 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default boat vibration question

Hi
I have a 98 Maxum SCR3000 with twin 5.0 mercruisers. The starboard engine starts, runs idles perfectly. Does not burn any oil & idles so smoothly that you could place a glass of water on the engine while idlling & no vibration seen. but the vibration can be felt in the boat., either in neutral or in gear the boat vibrates . It can be felt further up the rpm range but the majority of the vibration is felt at idle. I have swapped the drives to see if the problem was in the input shaft side of the drive. Not. every year i check the gimball brg & it always feels fine by hand. I think i will change it as a precaution . How can a motor run so nice with no issues (vibration)while im in the engine room but while driving etc the vibration can be felt so much it concerns. me ? Andy advice would be appreciated?
Thanks
Timer

timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:19 AM   #2
Admiral

You said starboard is smooth what about the port? When you say in neutral or in gear is only this engine running? How much vibration are you feeling and when did it start?

I had a boat that had a vibration when in gear and was felt mainly when accelerating that turned out to be a rotten transom.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Port engine produces no vibration felt anywhere in the boat or on the engine itself. The starboard feels smooth to the touch but produces vibration which can be felt on the boat. The vibration is the same weather the motor is in neutral or in gear & the same weather just the starboard motor is running or both the starboard & port engines are running. we had a survey done 4 years ago & a-ok then. maybe I should point out the vibration was there then as well.
thanks for your ideas Timer
Old 10-03-2017, 11:27 PM   #4
Admiral

Motor mounts could be going bad.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:37 PM   #5
Lieutenant

ok
I pull the drives off yearly to grease u joints and do a visual inspection. I will borrow an alignment tool & check. Might be a good place to start.
Thanks

Timer