Old 08-14-2018, 08:38 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Big problems

Normally I watch the gauges but did not yesterday. I ended up hitting 240 for a temp. My rubber exhaust connecters burnt, my trim motor does not work now and was leaking water/oil behind the motor, and my bellows is broke in half. I imagine my water pump is seized. I plan on doing most of the work myself so the question is what are the things I shoul check over? I need to see if I have water in my oil.

Jbleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
Captain

You'll need new rubber; exhaust shutters, lower tubes, and upper hoses. I replaced mine with Sierra, and they were half the price of OE and seem to be high quality. Resist the urge to get the cheap rubber.
Your shutters may be in your y-pipe somewhere, though with losing your bellows they may be gone.
You can replace the upper and lower exhaust hoses without removing the risers or manifolds. You will need lots of soapy water.
Change the oil. If it's burnt then change the filter also.
Do you know why you overheated?

jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:57 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Sorry to hear a boating season getting cut short. Hope you can troubleshoot and fix in time to salvage a few weekends.

Sounds like your impeller exploded. When they go out while running your boat will over heat very quickly and hot enough to burn/ melt rubber exhaust tubes, flapper valves, and exhaust boots. I would start my inspect by removing the fresh water pump and inspect the impeller. If it is OK (not missing any pieces) check your thermostat. As jrsick said don't go cheap on the rubber and take your time to figure out "way" it overheated.

Inspecting my impeller is on my winterizing checklist and a new impeller is only $12.
MoonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:20 AM   #4
Lt. JG

That sounds like a good starting list. I will start taking it apart tomorrow hopefully. All I know is it stopped getting water to the motor at this point. It literally ran for 3 minutes. But yes. My season is definitely done. It’s looking like 150 at least just for the bellows and impeller kits. On top of that my trim over heated and stoped working. So that’s going to cost me too. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:20 AM   #5
Admiral

Didnt the alarm go off?

If the impeller is missing any vanes you’ll need to find them or they can block cooling passages. Exhaust hoses upper and lower, flappers. If the flappers melted you’ll need to remove the pieces from the bottom of the y-pipe.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #6
Admiral

How does a trim pump over heat? Did the switch stick ?
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #7
Captain

I'm not sure what boat and engine combo you have, but you should have more working room for repairing your trim pump and lines after you remove the exhaust hoses and pipes. You can flush water down your y-pipe to clean out debris and perhaps find your shutters. You'll also find debris in the cavities of your lower unit.
You should order thermostat gaskets also. You'll need to check the thermostat housing for impeller pieces.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:15 AM   #8
Lt. Commander

Jeremy, It would help us to know what make,model, engine, and drive your boat has. So we can have a better idea of what your set-up looks like.

Doug
MoonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:32 PM   #9

Bellows and trim (Either tabs or drive) motor would not be affected by an engine overheat. Water in the back might be a gasket issue. Have you done an oil change to see if you have water in the oil?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #10
Lt. JG

It’s a 1989 maxim with a 3.0 muricruiser with a alpha 1 gen 1 outdrive. Sorry. I have been really busy. I am going to start taking it apart today after work. I am going to the parts store and picking up the bellows and impeller kit today. As for the trim motor “overheating” I meant that the outside was overheated by the exhaust and burnt the lines. My bad. I need to take the exhaust apart to see what kind of damage was done. I will have a little more info tonight.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #11
Captain

Trim problem may not be related to your overheat. Be sure to center the drive before trying the trim motor. Make sure your battery is charged. You may need to help the trim by having one person trim up while a second person lifts up on the outdrive at the same time.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:54 PM   #12
Lt. JG

I believe the trim lines are melted because there is fluid inside the boat underneath the containment area under the motor.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:06 PM   #13
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbleaux View Post
I believe the trim lines are melted because there is fluid inside the boat underneath the containment area under the motor.
The trim lines penetrate the transom near the exhaust pipe and sine you had no water flowing in the exhaust it got really hot and could have damaged the trim lines. Is the fluid in the bilge from the trim pump, fluid level low?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote