Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2018, 10:09 PM   #1
Captain

Default Bellows

How long do you guys expect oem bravo bellows to last? Mine have two years on them. Put drives on the other day and launched boat today. Seems at least one is seeping water onto the top of the exhaust outlet. Should I get a new drive bellow already and just replace it? I have a feeling it’s where the drive butts up against the bellow. I greased all that well. Does anyone ever put a sealant on there instead for older bellows?

speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:04 PM   #2
Captain

Hi speedy
Not that familure with Bravo drives but if the boat is o a trailer I would pull the drive to see if any water is in the bellows. It sounds as if you may have a crack in there somewhere. Don't want water in the gimble bearing and ujoints.
Good luck.
Don

2012 South Bay Pontoon
donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysprocket View Post
How long do you guys expect oem bravo bellows to last? Mine have two years on them. Put drives on the other day and launched boat today. Seems at least one is seeping water onto the top of the exhaust outlet. Should I get a new drive bellow already and just replace it? I have a feeling it’s where the drive butts up against the bellow. I greased all that well. Does anyone ever put a sealant on there instead for older bellows?
It really depends on conditions how long they last. I've had 5 yrs on one set, but replaced them 2 yrs later after the boat sat on the hard for a few months and they looked brittle.

Ive always used bellows adhesive on the driveshaft and exhaust bellows. Not so much as a sealant, but to be sure they set properly while I clamp them down.

I'd be leery of grease on any of those connections. The castings are usually tapered a bit and you really want the bellows to stay put. That's a big hole below the waterline if one fails or slips off. (Referring to driveshaft bellows)
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #4
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsons121 View Post
It really depends on conditions how long they last. I've had 5 yrs on one set, but replaced them 2 yrs later after the boat sat on the hard for a few months and they looked brittle.

Ive always used bellows adhesive on the driveshaft and exhaust bellows. Not so much as a sealant, but to be sure they set properly while I clamp them down.

I'd be leery of grease on any of those connections. The castings are usually tapered a bit and you really want the bellows to stay put. That's a big hole below the waterline if one fails or slips off. (Referring to driveshaft bellows)

I used bellow adhesive where the bellow seats inside the bell housing and gimbal housing. I’m talking about grease or sealant on the drive before you slide it on.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
Admiral

5 years is a good maintenance but I have see folks go 10 years. Look for cracks in between the folds. Yes bellows adhesive to attach the bellows. I also use grease on the driveshaft splines and outdrive housing collar that slips into the bellhousing.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #6

5 years is where I feel comfortable. Are you sure it's the bellows?

What model Bravo? (e.g. Bravo II, Bravo III?)
What year is the boat?

Bravo III's have known issues with the transom assembly. Bellows don't normally leak after 2 years unless someone puts a screwdriver or putty knife through trying to scrape barnacles off.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:59 PM   #7
Captain

Bravo IIs, 1994 3200 but I rebuilt everything two years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
Captain