Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-14-2015, 11:35 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Batteries

Good afternoon guys and girls,

I have a questions concerning batteries. I have a 2600 SE with four batteries 2 on the port side and 2 on the stbd side. I'm trying to figure out which ones run my accessories and which ones are for engine start up. I bought the boat from a Doctor and he knew very little about the boat so I'm learning about the boat as I go along. I store my boat in a Boat/RV storage and my batteries are always dead when I pick up the boat from storage. This weekend we picked up the boat from storage and my port batteries are completely dead and they won’t event take a charge from the charger. I replace the 2 batteries on the port side 5 years ago and it looks like i have to buy two more batteries again this year. I also disconnect the wires from the positive terminals on the port side bank but my batteries still go dead. I'm doing something wrong when I’m storing the boat? I'm thinking about buying a solar trickle charger. Do you guys think this may help? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
port.jpg   stbd.jpg  

Randy2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:03 AM   #2
Admiral

The second picture looks like a pair of 6 volt batteries in series to get 12 volts, these would be the house batteries.

5 years is about all you get out of batteries so I do not see an issue.

When batteries loose charge they can freeze which damages the plates and kills them so a trickle charge once and a while will help.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:44 AM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swalefirecom View Post
Hi there guys,from OZ, since I imported my boat 4 months ago,iam having troubles with my batteries to, they are flat as a tac when I get on board to start it( they are both new deep cell marine batteries ) both my battery selectors are in the off position when I leave the boat. Could it be a fault with the two automatic bilge pumps (forward and aft )
Cheers
Geoff
Unless you hear the pumps running when the battery switch is off I doubt it.

Disconnect the positive cable and install an amp meter is see how much current is being drawn with the switches off. Then try removing one fuse at a time until the current goes to near zero.

Oh yea welcome

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote