Old 09-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Anyone pull engines out of Maxum 3000SCR?

End of season is here, These little 4.3's are too underpowered for me so I am gonna repower her this winter. Has anyone done theres yet? I am just wondering how you guys got the engines by the Arch or if you took it off and where you lifted on the engines to pull them up-forward-up

OceanStateTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Admiral

While I haven't worked on a 3000 SCR it won't stop me from putting my 2 cents in here as you can tell I seem to always hav something to say

If these are carb'ed engines I would use a lifting bracked that bolts to the intake in place of the carb, this should have the chain clear of the engine compartment opening. Then raise the engines. You will either need to move the boat (trailer ?) or hoist to get the engines to clear the opening. I have seen the boat forklift used for this. The key with the arch is seting up so the bottom of the engine to top of hoist is less than the space of bottom of arch to top of transom. Easy for me to say but would need to be there to figure it out.

good luck.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
Captain

you could probably sell your boat, and but a better one with the engines you want, cheaper then putting new engines, drives, probs, and engine mounts.

I'd look had at that, even if you lose money on your boat, you will still have less money into it.

The 4.3 are not very good in the 2800 scr.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #4

I did mine in a 2800, the method is the same. You don't need to remove the arch at all. They will come out in front of the arch. You're going to need a crane or travel lift. You'll raise it out of the engine compartment then move it forward over the rear facing seat. You might need to come up, then forward, then up then forward several times. I got a 454 out and a 496 in this way. A couple of 4.3's will be a piece of cake.

However, I agree. If you have two functioning motors and are dissatisfied, seel the boat and buy a new one. That will be far less costly than what you are proposing. only repower if they are dead.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Much of the economics of this depends on what you have access to. If you have access to inexpensive and complete engines - including the their exhaust systems, it might make economic sense to replace them. Keep in mind, though, that the drives themselves might also need to be replaced to achieve the correct gear ratio. Research 3000's with V8's of the same HP rating you are considering to see what OD gear ratios they use.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Wife likes the boat so it is staying, I bought a pair of 425HP 496's and Bravo III drives, Hopefully this improves performance a bit, should make for a good winter project
Old 10-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
Admiral

WOW 4.3 to 496's. What were he 4.3 rae at 190 or 220 HP? Then going to 425 HP each for a total of 850HP! Did you look into what the boats max HP was rated for? Also did you verify these will fit side by side and line up with the transom plates?

Major performance improvement, also will drink more fuel;-)

Mike
Old 10-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #8
Lt. JG

I had the 190HP 4.3's so yeah one engine has more HP then both. I just liked how the 8.1's came fuel injected and FWC also. I doubt anywhere will list the max HP rating of the boat, I will be looking at my transom when I pull them out and probably pulling my Gimble housings to reseal everything and make sure the wood is strong, I will put a penetrating epoxy through all the holes and stuff if it is solid, Everything SHOULD be fine back there. Transom plates they will bolt right too the bell housings If I measured correctly, on paper these motors will fit with plenty of room BUT they will be close together. The engine mounts are only a few inches forward, I may or may not glass in some extra wood to give it more strength, I am not going to be doing hole shots or anything like that, heck probably not even WOT more then a few times but I think with the Torque of these engines and the Bravo III's I think I should be able to stay on plane at a lower RPM also. I know these engines will use a TON more fuel at WOT, a little more then double, but I am thinking they should only use slightly more fuel then my 4.3's on plane but being able to cruise faster (Just looking at similar weight boat specs)

The drives I picked up have 26P stainless props on them, That will be my starting point.
I am debating on using the outdrive water intake or I noticed a lot of people that do the 8.1 Retro's they put Seacocks on the bottom of the hull.

If I don't spend too much more then I already have on other supplies I may toss a bow thruster and windlass in this winter also.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:17 AM   #9
Lt. JG

4.3 Drawings:

8.1 HO Drawings:

My boat, Don't mind the scum line, Providence water will do this 20minutes after washing it:
Old 10-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Admiral

Ok so my questions were basically did you do your homework and the answer is appears to be yes.

Some boat manufactures list max HP for each model but I have not seen that for maxum yet once still exists for the design. Do you know what the largest engine package offered was and how does your plan stack up to it? Iagree if you are not using tefull potential of thenew engines then you should be ok.

Nice looking boat scum line and all:-) The extended swim platform is really nice

Mike
Old 10-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
Captain

I fear your transom plate will need to be replace, as the weight has increased.

Next, depending on the spacing, I'd be surprised if the Y-pipe is the same, or will fit the same size hole in the boat.

Finally, you should consider replacing your transom pins and seals, as they are over 10 years old, in addition to the engine couplers, God only knows what the previous owner hit.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
Admiral

Ps you are right regarding the Y-pipe. The supplied engine data says the y-pipe will need to be 4 inches wider. He did mention resealing in the assembly. I just realized since he had 4.3's they were probably connected to Alphas which means he will need new Bravo trans assemblies as there are different.

Mike
Old 10-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
Lt. JG

I added that swim platform this spring when I bought the boat, I can't imagine getting on/off without it as the little stubby platform they gave us from the factory is a joke.

The Transom plate I would think is the same between all Bravo drives? I do have the Exhaust Y pipe as it is different between the 8.1's and other models.
The pins and such are a good idea, I don't want to have to do another big project like this for some years if possible.

My boat came factory with the 4.3's and Bravo II's so it is already setup for Bravo gear.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
Lt. JG

I never really could find much info on the Maxum's but I think for engine options the biggest you could get was twin 5.7's then if you wanted a BBC it went to a single.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
Captain

yes only, two 4.3 or 5.7, or single 7.4

If i were you, I'd look for pictures on ebay of engine compartments, as you might not have room to fit both engine.

The twin 5.7 show the water heater, hold tanks, batteries, trim pump all in different locations for space and weight balance.

Futher, your hull might be weighted for 4.3..... what about the fuel tank... 150 gal?

If I was you I'd find a boat with the engines your want and take a lot of photos.

On ebay a 33 like your are only bidding upto $15k.... you should watch the numbers and see where you are.

those twin guy have to pull and engine to change a starter!
Old 10-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
Admiral

While everything is a part I'd replace the bellows, shift cable, and gimble bearing.

FYI: 5.7's were rated between 260 - 300HP depending on carb vs fuel injection.

Mike
Old 10-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
Lt. JG

I've looked at pictures of the 5.7's and similar boats of the 8.1's I will take some more measurements and stuff this weekend but I did before I bought the engines and everything should fit, just tight.
The only thing I noticed that was moved around on some of the 3000SCR models was if it had a Genset a bunch of stuff was in different locations but I do not have a Genset.

This is a heavy boat for its size and I've been disappointed since I bought it at the fuel tank size, Maybe some how the future will cause me to have to find room for a 3rd tank somehow lol

Have any of you used the bellow/cable/bearing kits that are on eBay?
Old 10-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #18
Admiral

OST, can't wait for you to get started so I can read and see pictures of the progress.

My 2400 SCR (5.7LX B2) is a bit of a dog when there is more than 4 people on board. It would really benefit from a big block, however I'd rather move up to a 30 footer if I am spending big $'s

I used the OEM kit which I bought from the mechanic at my marina, he lent me all te special tools since I bought from him:-)

Mike
Old 10-28-2014, 12:03 AM   #19
pgp
Lt. JG

Hi,

Did you ever get the new motors in? If so how does she run?

Paul
pgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #20
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgp View Post
Hi,

Did you ever get the new motors in? If so how does she run?

Paul
yes... curious if you got them in and how she's running.
BB

Baby Blue is offline   Reply With Quote