Old 10-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
Captain

I fear your transom plate will need to be replace, as the weight has increased.

Next, depending on the spacing, I'd be surprised if the Y-pipe is the same, or will fit the same size hole in the boat.

Finally, you should consider replacing your transom pins and seals, as they are over 10 years old, in addition to the engine couplers, God only knows what the previous owner hit.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
Admiral

Ps you are right regarding the Y-pipe. The supplied engine data says the y-pipe will need to be 4 inches wider. He did mention resealing in the assembly. I just realized since he had 4.3's they were probably connected to Alphas which means he will need new Bravo trans assemblies as there are different.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
Lt. JG

I added that swim platform this spring when I bought the boat, I can't imagine getting on/off without it as the little stubby platform they gave us from the factory is a joke.

The Transom plate I would think is the same between all Bravo drives? I do have the Exhaust Y pipe as it is different between the 8.1's and other models.
The pins and such are a good idea, I don't want to have to do another big project like this for some years if possible.

My boat came factory with the 4.3's and Bravo II's so it is already setup for Bravo gear.
OceanStateTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
Lt. JG

I never really could find much info on the Maxum's but I think for engine options the biggest you could get was twin 5.7's then if you wanted a BBC it went to a single.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
Captain

yes only, two 4.3 or 5.7, or single 7.4

If i were you, I'd look for pictures on ebay of engine compartments, as you might not have room to fit both engine.

The twin 5.7 show the water heater, hold tanks, batteries, trim pump all in different locations for space and weight balance.

Futher, your hull might be weighted for 4.3..... what about the fuel tank... 150 gal?

If I was you I'd find a boat with the engines your want and take a lot of photos.

On ebay a 33 like your are only bidding upto $15k.... you should watch the numbers and see where you are.

those twin guy have to pull and engine to change a starter!
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
Admiral

While everything is a part I'd replace the bellows, shift cable, and gimble bearing.

FYI: 5.7's were rated between 260 - 300HP depending on carb vs fuel injection.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
Lt. JG

I've looked at pictures of the 5.7's and similar boats of the 8.1's I will take some more measurements and stuff this weekend but I did before I bought the engines and everything should fit, just tight.
The only thing I noticed that was moved around on some of the 3000SCR models was if it had a Genset a bunch of stuff was in different locations but I do not have a Genset.

This is a heavy boat for its size and I've been disappointed since I bought it at the fuel tank size, Maybe some how the future will cause me to have to find room for a 3rd tank somehow lol

Have any of you used the bellow/cable/bearing kits that are on eBay?
Old 10-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #18
Admiral

OST, can't wait for you to get started so I can read and see pictures of the progress.

My 2400 SCR (5.7LX B2) is a bit of a dog when there is more than 4 people on board. It would really benefit from a big block, however I'd rather move up to a 30 footer if I am spending big $'s

I used the OEM kit which I bought from the mechanic at my marina, he lent me all te special tools since I bought from him:-)
Old 10-28-2014, 12:03 AM   #19
pgp
Lt. JG

Hi,

Did you ever get the new motors in? If so how does she run?

Paul
pgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #20
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgp View Post
Hi,

Did you ever get the new motors in? If so how does she run?

Paul
yes... curious if you got them in and how she's running.
BB

Baby Blue is offline   Reply With Quote