Old 09-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Alternator not charging

Hello all, I am new to the boating world. I have a problem where my alternator is not charging my battery. I bought a different alternator and i have the same problem. This is on a 5.7l mercruiser. I would like to know how to test the alternaotr to see if it is actually working. Or any other ideas of why it doesnt seem to want to charge.

Also twice now all my gauges seem to freak out and an audible alarm goes off and stays on till I disconnect the battery. Does anyone know what that alarm is for?

Thankyou

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #2

2 alternators and the same problem. Do you have 1 battery or 2? Have you put a meter on the alternator to confirm it's putting out voltage?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
Captain

Your alternator is working.....

You bought a boat with a short in it. This is why people sell boats.

not to worry, we can track it down. Your gauges freaking is the intermit short, shorting out, other wise you every thing is fine.

First:
1. never run on both batteries.
2. disconnect all wire off the battery, let it sit over night, to make sure the batteries are good the next day.
3. connect one wire back at a time, one day at a time at the dock. You will enerigize each curcuit one, by one, until the problem happens again.
4. after you try it on all those wires hanging off the battery post, then then next step is to pull all the fuses under the dash, and then install them back one by one, to enerigize each curcuit.

It's not the engine harness, since the engine did not die.
It could be as simple as a shorted horn, or the carbonmoxided decetor past its 5 year life.
wigggle all wires you can get your hands on and look for burned or hot to the touch.
stick your head under the engine and look at your starter, this 80amp fuseilble link is the thing that holds all the amps back from frying your harness. if it looks burned or melted, then that your problem.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Ensign

I do have the charging problem solved. Looks like the starter was wired wrong and there was no load going to the alternator to tell it to turn on.

I will look for a short could be why the tach is not working. The previuos owners didnt winterize correctly and they forgot to take the plug out the back. Boat filled up with water to the seats and froze that way. Got a new longblock in and am working out the little bugs that pop up now.

Thanx for the help!!
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
Captain

Just wondering if he left the boat on a high rack, or just never checked on the boat?

97% off all boat sinking is at the dock.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote