Old 11-15-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 99 maxum 3200 Engine will not flush

Hi everyone, I pulled boat from water this past weekend. I flushed the starboard engine and it flushed fine. When I went to flush the port side it would not pull water from the water intake/strainer. So I installed the raw water impeller kit. I definately have suction from pump but still will not pull water. It nevered overheated in the water. I have twin bravo ii with 5.7L. My questin is, is their a problem with the water hose on the outdrive or the water passage seal on the outdrive. What might be common? any help i would appreciate

rjrcmr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
Admiral

well..if you have both the intakes thru the drives and a hull fitting that brings water in thru the hull valve....are bringing water thru the drive or the hull??...since you didn't see much water coming thru..I'd say that the pump is probably toast......which means that the pump in the engine ....I'd pull the pump assembly apart...and check the impeller......however I thought you had asked this question on another post.....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #3

Hi rjrcmr03, Welcome Aboard!! I've moved this thread from "Sport Yachts" to "Engines" since this is really an engine problem, not a boat model specific issue. Does your 3200 come with inboards or I/O's. I thought all 3200's were I/O's. Are you flushing through the top of your raw water strainer, or are you using a hose connected to muffs on the drives?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
Captain

do you have a fresh water heat exchanger?

I'd drop a hose down stream of the raw water pump that you rebuild and see if your getting flow. have someone bump the engine when your watching.

if your getting water upto the heat exchanger or thermostat, then its one of those two, clogged or stuck.

you can also drop the 1/2" rubber hose on the mainfold to see if your getting water thru it.

you could have picked up a plastic bag in the water, very common, or you have some one living up the pipe.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
Admiral

Did a impeller fin break off and clog something?
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:21 AM   #6
Lt. JG

Thanks for the replys guys. I have twin I/O and I was using muffs. I had no problem with flushing starboard side with muffs. I tried to flush the port side when I realized it wasnt pumping water back out the exhaust and my temp statred to go up. It never did this before in the water and I had just had it out in the bay before I removed the boat for the season. I do not have a fresh water exchanger. What I did is replaced the raw water pump impeller with the standard housing and impeller kit. I put the muffs back on and started the engine still no water. I removed the suction hose from the raw water pump to see if there was suction and there was. I took the garden hose and blew water back through the suction hose and it flows out the lower unit strainer. I also checked to see if the hose from the pump to the therm. housing was opened and it was. Is their anything common with the bravo ii ? I have been a technician for General Motors for 25 years so I have a little bit of mechanical experience. All help would greatly be appreciative.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:44 AM   #7
Admiral

you know..it's a pretty simple system....if your raw water cooled...then there isn't many places to check...the water comes up the drive..I assume you have good water pressure at the muffs....
water goes up the leg..thru a hose up to the water pump...the pump, mounted it to the stbd side of the front of the engine, then pulls the water and pushes it up into the engine....via the thermostat.....if it was fw cooled..it would push the water up into the heat exchanger on the top of the engine infront of the carb....above the belts....if you can pull the hoses off..back flush the water....see if it comes back down thru the leg....of not..you have something blocking the passage....
also check to make sure the impellers are in good shape......if they aren't..they won't pump any water up into the engine and out thru the exhaust manifolds...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 11-16-2011, 03:19 AM   #8
Admiral

Are the water hoses going to the impeller housing on the right connection? You didn't reverse them when you changed impellers?
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:35 AM   #9
Lt. Commander

Default Not circulating...

Make sure the impeller kit installation is correct, if not the water won't flush properly. Also make sure the "muffs" are on tight enough. I like the Mercury muffs (that have the metal rod to pull through) to make it very snug on drive. Tighter the fit, the more water pumps through....
Capt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
Lt. JG

I removed both hoses at the raw water pump and had my buddy start the engine for a couple of seconds. The suction from the pump was strong and pulling the palm of my hand. The suction hose for the outdrive was on that port "so that was ok" I reconnected the hoses properly. The suction hose even back fluses out to the lower unit. Do you think I might have an air leak at the water jacket seals of the outdrive or maybe an air leak at the water intake hose between the transome and outdrive causing suction to be low at strainer? Anyone ever experience that before?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #11

I'm not famililar BII drives. Alpha's and BIII's. Is the impellor in the drive like an Alpha, or engine mounted water pump like a BIII? At this point I'm thinking a backpressure test might be in order.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:03 AM   #12
Admiral

shrew.....shrew...shrew.....

b2's are b3's without the extra prop.........same upper....different lower...water pump is on the engine...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 11-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #13
Lt. JG

I am going this weekend to look at the boat again. I am going to supply water to the suction hose up at the transom and see if it flushes.