Old 08-23-2009, 02:12 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 97 2000sfl still hard to start

I have a 97 2000SFl and just got the boat back from the shop after having the carb rebuilt. I get to the lake and it wont start. After a bout 3 tries I try to fast throttle start it and it starts right up. Well every time I shut it down I had to fast throttle start it to get it to start which is kind of aggravating. The guy at the shop said it started right up for him after the carb rebuild and he checked the fuel pump and said it was fine. Just seems like there is no gas getting in the carb on ignition. One it starts up though it runs great. Just scratching my head right now. BTW it is a 5.7 mercruiser with a 2 bbl carb. Any help is appreciated as we are going to try and take it out tomorrow again.
Thanks

skongolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
Ensign

Default Re: 97 2000sfl still hard to start

Been there done that. After sweating through a no start problem, thinking it was fuel, it was ignition. You have a 97. It is over ten years old. Just replace the Distributor cap, and rotor or clean it with some emrey paper, I dont think the rotor goes as fast as the cap, and replace the COIL. Just do the coil. I put in an ACCEL and it started right up after three weeks in the shop. You cant get to it. but its worth the effort.

Just do it. Not too expensive and you will need to do those items eventually.

After that if it still doesnt start, get into the difficult diagnostics, spark indicator, fuel pressure, timing and power check to the ignition module or whatever.

If its older, like some of us, just get the new parts, do it and see what happens.....

good luck.
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote