Old 09-11-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
Commander

Default 94 2400scr 5.7

I bought this boat knowing that the eng was frozen. The eng only has 100hrs. The boat is in really good shape, a few things here and there that will need fixed but, I really like doing eng work and it will keep be busy and out of trouble..LOL I hope to save the block, and maybe the heads if they are not cracked and rebuild it. I am thinking that the bearings are spun. If its not too bad I'll have the crank turned, but depends on how bad it all is.

The story goes that while docking the boat the eng started sputtering and then froze up.
and the tear down beings. so far I have the intake and Port valve cover removed.
You can see where some of the water got in the engine. Won’t be able to remove the heads till wed night.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH]

9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Commander

Pulled the Port Head off last night and found the problem. Pictures say it all... ;( , Not only is the piston beat up but there is a crack in the cylinder.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Damn shame that this eng is ruined because of FOD. The Tool was left in the eng from the last over haul 100 hours ago.

Todd

Old 09-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Captain

Other than obvious problem, that engine looks good. What is the tool that was sitting on top of the piston? I can't tell what it is.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Commander

Its a Torx Bit. Yes everything except the Block and that one piston is in great shape
Old 09-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Well that's a bummer Todd.

Do you have a line on a short block or bare block? How does that cylinder head chamber look?

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Commander

The heads are in great shape, only one very small nick, blended it out with emery cloth and all is good. A friend of mine has a complete eng (almost) that I'm going to install as soon as I can get the trailer all fixed , Had to replace the entire brake system on it. The eng is older model but Fresh rebuild. the new eng is only 2 barrel and my 4 barrel has the 4 middle bolts that go stright down. I think I have found one but haven't seen it yet. Using my Alt, Power steering Pump..etc

Todd
Old 09-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Commander

Hey Todd, let me know if you go with the 2bbl motor as I might be interested in buying that 4bbl manifoild and carb if you wanted to sell it. I have a 96 5.7 2bbl and would love to upgrade if the price and timing is right (meaning if the wife will let me spend some more money on this thing) :-)
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
Commander

Looks like I'm going to get a short block from a very good friend. Taking it to the Machine shop for a good look see to make sure everything is good. Getting a gasket set from http://www.michiganmotorz.com/felpro...795-p-377.html for $158.95 plus shipping Local Marina wanted $404.50 for the same "Mercruiser set". Transplanting all the accessories from the old engine (Sorry mcoffey) Looking at 2 days (pluss a case of beer) work. LOL Once I get the short block back from the machine shop.

Todd
Old 09-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
Commander

Here's the Short Block I'm going to rebuild. This weekend is Cleaning, measuring and inspection to make sure enerything is in Spec.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Todd
Old 09-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
Commander

After cleaning the short block I took to a machine shop and they found a 4" crack on the side. The shop also specializes in mercruisers. They will sell me a rebuilt short block for $900. Sooooo next month I will buy it ...

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
Commander

After looking at a bunch of options, I decided to have the Short Block in the Boat sleeved and rebuild by a local eng builder for $1000.

Pulled the old block out last weekend and just dropped it off, Includes, Dip, bored and honed, new Pistons, New Cam and lifters, complete gasket kit. If the Crank needs turned, he will do that as well. Since the old eng only had 100 hrs on it I will Clean and inspect the heads, intake, Carb and all the accy and Install them myself.... I gotta have some fun... and It saves me a bunch of $$$$.

Due to my schedule this month with the US Open 9Ball Championships, I won't be able to pick up the eng till the 29 Oct, Hope to install and hookup everything Friday and Saturday, Sea Trials are scheduled for Sunday 4 Nov.

Todd
Old 11-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
Commander

Short block will be delivered today. WoooHoooo!!!! I hope to have it assembled by friday and Installed in the boat Saturday, shooting for Sea Trails Sunday!
I'll be posting Pictures of the Build progress.

Todd
Old 11-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

That's great Todd, good luck with it!
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #14
Commander

No motor yet. Gezzzz. Don't think ill use this shop again.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #15

ARe you sure it's the shop and not problems with delivery? Aside from recent weahter issues, fuel is expensive and a lot of companies are trying to get as much freight moving per mile as they can. It might be a logistical issue out of the shops control.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #16
Commander

two wks ago he said it was done. But I was away and wouldn't be back for 10 days, so he gives me the "I only hold onto it for 30 days" lecture.... Sooooo Then I go to pick it up and he said it was not done, but would be ready friday... well he bored it out too much and had to order a over sized sleeve. Then it was supposed to be ready last night. I am still waiting...... I am Not a Happy Camper(Boater)....

Todd
Old 11-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #17
Commander

[ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Its been one thing after another getting this short block but... I got it!!!! Hope to get it all together today and run it on the ground before installing in the boat.

Todd
Old 11-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
Commander

Are automotive head gaskets the same as a Marine

Old 11-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #19
Commander

Ok so I'm sure this will start a back lash but here is my point, the only difference between (some) automotive head gaskets and marine ones are the liner seal rings, auto uses steel, marine sometime uses stainless, more of an issue on raw water cooled however my previous 2 raw water cooled boats I have replaced the marine one for automotive due to cost and the thought that if water is getting to the seal I don't see stainless helping "much" more water should not contact that close to the cylinder
Huddo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #20
Commander

That is what I was thinking