Old 09-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
Commander

Default 92 2100 SC Replace 4.3 With 5.0

I have to replace my engine [http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...-4.3L-Starter] cause the block is cracked where the starter bolts up. I might be able to get my hands on a 5.0 (Engine only). I am thinking it will bolt right in. But wanted to ask some of the experts here. Any thoughts. Its a Complete engine out of another boat, not sure what kind of boat.

Todd

9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I'm sure your 2100 SC was available with a V8 so at least you know there's space for it. If you can get the 5.0 complete with accessory drives/brackets and the complete exhaust it might be worth trying. Only thing I can think that might throw you a curve ball is engine mount locations.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Lieutenant

The other thing you may have to look into is what out drive do you have? And if the drive is ok for the extra h/p, is the prop right for the 5.0L, is the wiring harness on the 5.0L and is it a straight plug into the boats harness? Are the fuel pumps the some i.e. mechanical or electrical (later motor don’t have the opening in the block for mechanical fuel pumps). It sounds like a good move just don’t over look the little thing that may end up burning a hole in your pocket

Tony
TonyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyA View Post
The other thing you may have to look into is what out drive do you have? And if the drive is ok for the extra h/p, is the prop right for the 5.0L, is the wiring harness on the 5.0L and is it a straight plug into the boats harness? Are the fuel pumps the some i.e. mechanical or electrical (later motor don’t have the opening in the block for mechanical fuel pumps). It sounds like a good move just don’t over look the little thing that may end up burning a hole in your pocket

Tony
Kinda worried about the wiring harnes, hope it fits, the other stuff like the Fuel pump is not a issue and the out drive should be OK, but I will check... Still waiting to hear from this guy about the motor.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
I'm sure your 2100 SC was available with a V8 so at least you know there's space for it. If you can get the 5.0 complete with accessory drives/brackets and the complete exhaust it might be worth trying. Only thing I can think that might throw you a curve ball is engine mount locations.

Dan
it is a complete Motor, so I should have everything I need.... as long as it fits, Motor mounts is a concern, hopefully I wont have to relocate them. The ad said the boat was wrecked but the Engine and out drive was Ok! I sent a offer but haven't heard anything yet!!!!! wish he would answer LOL

Todd
Old 09-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
Admiral

if I remember right...and not promising my memory is all that good...but the motor mounts should be pretty close...the 4.3 is a 5.0 without the front cylinders.....therefore everything else should mate right up....but measure from the aft of the 4.3 block to the motor mounts..and compare to the 5.0...should be pretty close to the same....if not..then it's a simple job to fill in the existing holes and install the new ones...
if your running the merc. alpha drive...it will handle the 5.0ltr engine easily....you will have to re-prop though...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Don't forget to take lots of pictures!!
capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
if I remember right...and not promising my memory is all that good...but the motor mounts should be pretty close...the 4.3 is a 5.0 without the front cylinders.....therefore everything else should mate right up....but measure from the aft of the 4.3 block to the motor mounts..and compare to the 5.0...should be pretty close to the same....if not..then it's a simple job to fill in the existing holes and install the new ones...
if your running the merc. alpha drive...it will handle the 5.0ltr engine easily....you will have to re-prop though...

SP
re-prop.... Didn't think about that..... running a 15-17P now.

Todd
Old 09-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by capav8r View Post
Don't forget to take lots of pictures!!
I will .... I try to always take Pic's, that way I know how it all came apart.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

Just one little thought though... Can the 4.3 crack be welded and retapped?? It obviously wasn't affecting anything other than the starter.. It would have to be removed to do, but it could then be resold for some recoup of costs too?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #11
Commander

Yes I think it could, just have to find the right person to weld Cast. Takes a special touch, weld it up and Heli-Coil should be good to go. Only person I trust to weld is John Perkins, Owner of Perkins Truck & Diesel Marine, in Chesapeake, Va. Best welder I ever saw.... of course I worked for him for bout 5 yrs.

Todd