Old 09-13-2010, 05:02 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 7.4 No Start

I have the 7.4 MPI/Bravo III combo. I have a fully charged 1150amp battery and suddenly I only get a loud click and no starter rotation at all. Probably needs a solenoid and maybe a starter too. It looks like I will need to pull the exhaust manifold to get in there. Sound normal? Any suggestions are welcome. I am fairly new to this type of boat but have a lot of experience with cars.

gbsillars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

GB,

Not to sound all dooms dayish but if this happened all of a sudden first make sure you can turn the engine over by hand with a long breaker bar.

No different from a car really, just follow all the usual troubleshooting steps. Test battery, ensure all your battery cable connections are clean and tight, etc-etc.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #3

If you hear a loud 'click' the click IS the solenoid. You can theoretically bypass the solenoid. I would suspect the the starter here. Make sure you have a good positive connection and ground. You should be able to meter the solenoid as well as the starter to determine where the break in the circuit is. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and it turned out to be a corroded postive connector on the starter. The problem was intermittant but getting worse with time. Once the postive cable to the start was completely replaced I never experienced the issue again.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
If you hear a loud 'click' the click IS the solenoid.
True dat, sorta. Solenoids do make a slight click but what you are more likely hearing is the starter gear being moved into and out of position. The standard GM starter is comprised of the starter motor + bendix (starter gear) and a solenoid. On a GM starter the solenoid does double duty; completes the electrical connections and also deploys the bendix (older Ford starters, for instance, used a separate, firewall or fender mounted, solenoid for the electrical connections and also a smaller solenoid on the starter t move the bendix).
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Admiral

I agree with the above...sounds like corroded connections....first check to make sure they are clean and corrosion free.....probably not the starter since a gm starter will spin if the bendix isn't kicking in....the click is the solenoid activating but the starter isn't spinning..thus low voltage.....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:55 AM   #6
Ensign

On a car I never would have thought of a corroded connection on the starter. I will check that out next as the battery end of the cables I keep real clean. It looks like I may have to pull the Starboard exhaust manifold to get to the starter. Is there anything tricky about that? Probably needs special gaskets to reinstall? All advice is greatly appreciated. I am very happy with the boat so far, it gets right up on plane with eight people aboard and it is very fast.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:16 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

What year of boat are you talking about. Just bought a manual for 7.4 bravo III for the years 1996-2002 I think. let me know and I can always copy and scan some pages from the manual if you need the help.
tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:34 AM   #8
Ensign

It is a 1999 Maxum 2300 SR (bowrider). Would appreciate any pages from the manual as it is exact one.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsillars View Post
It is a 1999 Maxum 2300 SR (bowrider). Would appreciate any pages from the manual as it is exact one.
Let me know where I can purchase the full manual, I am gonna need it sooner or later.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:42 PM   #10
Ensign

I have the SELOC manual, covers all engines & outdrives 1996-2002 I believe...found it on Amazon.com for around $29. Lots of good pictures, and the projects are rated by relative difficulty. I have the same setup as you do, except it's a 1998.

tcongdon86 is offline   Reply With Quote