Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-24-2019, 11:14 PM   #1
Mac
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Brighton UK
Posts: 10
Default 2x beeps every 60s...

Hey,
So, new boat but not so lucky as we had originally thought. We're getting intermittent 2x beeps every min. From what I can tell so far, it's at idle and at lowish revs. Once over 2k rpm it stops, only to return once we get back to the marina.

Any ideas?

Had it scanned by the broker and they found 4x codes but shrugged them off as "unconnected features" and should be ignored. Does this sound about right??

Thanks in advance,
Aye,
Mac

Edit: forgot to mention, it's a 2005 Mercruiser 5.0 MPI
__________________

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:58 AM   #2
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 7,131
Default

Looking at the Mercruiser code list it could be several things however since it stops at higher rpm I would think itís related to the oil pressure sensor.

Did they say what the 4 codes were?
__________________

__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:07 AM   #3
Mac
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Brighton UK
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Looking at the Mercruiser code list it could be several things however since it stops at higher rpm I would think itís related to the oil pressure sensor.

Did they say what the 4 codes were?
No, but iirc one was for steering angle gauge circuit high (not fitted). I'm heading down to the boat this morning to give all the fluid levels a once over and to get familiar with the engine and the electrical on board.
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:57 AM   #4
Mac
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Brighton UK
Posts: 10
Default

For completeness, it turned out to be an intermittent fault with the block water pressure sensor. Unplug it and the psi reading went to zero, plug it in and *sometimes* it gave a reading for a few mins, sometimes it stayed at zero.
New sensor on order.

Couldn't have found it without the tech and his laptop! Now where can I get one of those dongles...
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #5
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 7,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
For completeness, it turned out to be an intermittent fault with the block water pressure sensor. Unplug it and the psi reading went to zero, plug it in and *sometimes* it gave a reading for a few mins, sometimes it stayed at zero.
New sensor on order.

Couldn't have found it without the tech and his laptop! Now where can I get one of those dongles...
Glad you got it figured out. Maybe the tech can order you one of those dongles.
__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:44 PM   #6
Moderator

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Now where can I get one of those dongles...
Usually the dongle and the software it uses costs several thousand dollars and is only sold to mechanics with valid Merc certifications. Very few manufacturers ,if any, make it easy to bypass their certified mechanics and DIY.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:58 PM   #7
Mac
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Brighton UK
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Usually the dongle and the software it uses costs several thousand dollars and is only sold to mechanics with valid Merc certifications. Very few manufacturers ,if any, make it easy to bypass their certified mechanics and DIY.
Yeah, I asked the tech and he reckoned the laptop, software and dongle cost £6k! I'm just used to Audi and Volvo cars where aftermarket dongles are more readily available.
__________________

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.