Old 06-20-2016, 05:52 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2700 SCR still leaking oil

Very frustrated 2700 SCR owner here. I guess we bought a dud. It is a new purchase and the mechanic who looked at it with us dissapeared after we got it. New mechanic says the boat was leaking oil from the oil pan and we had the engine pulled and the pan replaced with the gasket. We trusted the mechanic when he said this was the leak and there was a crack. It wasn't cheap and they put it all back together and it still is leaking oil. The oil is in the bilge after a short trip (lots). My frustration on putting money into a boat that just keeps having problems is getting bad. Not sure how many things can be leaking after pulling the engine but this is killing me. Pretty sure we got taken. Can't sell it for what we have into it. Already replaced cables and the control box and bilge pumps. no idea what else inside doesn't work since we have barely been able to drive it. They even painted the engine when it was out. What could be leaking oil so quickly?

thekurwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Sorry you've been having problems with the boat, and sorry the mechanic disappeared.

An oil leak into the bilge can be many things unfortunately, and range from an easy, inexpensive fix to, well, to what you've already experienced. The "mechanic" should have done a dye test (adding a dye to the oil), but even without doing that he should have replaced the engine's front and rear main seals - a job that must be done with the engine removed.

It is possible that he botched the oil pan replacement - specifically the installation of the new gaskets. Could also be the aforementioned front/rear main seals. Maybe the rocker arm cover gaskets. Possibly the oil pressure sensor, or even the end seals of the intake manifold.

But first, are you certain it is engine oil in the bilge and not outdrive oil? What year boat and what engine is in it?

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
Sorry you've been having problems with the boat, and sorry the mechanic disappeared.

An oil leak into the bilge can be many things unfortunately, and range from an easy, inexpensive fix to, well, to what you've already experienced. The "mechanic" should have done a dye test (adding a dye to the oil), but even without doing that he should have replaced the engine's front and rear main seals - a job that must be done with the engine removed.

It is possible that he botched the oil pan replacement - specifically the installation of the new gaskets. Could also be the aforementioned front/rear main seals. Maybe the rocker arm cover gaskets. Possibly the oil pressure sensor, or even the end seals of the intake manifold.

But first, are you certain it is engine oil in the bilge and not outdrive oil? What year boat and what engine is in it?

Dan
1996 2700 SCR. It is engine oil. We had gaskets and seals replaced while it was out. I will check which ones. I thought we did anything that was taken apart. Also did the outdrive. He is supposed to be checking but if he has to pull the engine he is doing it free. It kills me because I asked to replace anything that could be replaced while it was out.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I understand the frustration.

Ah, so the mechanic that pulled the engine for the leak isn't the same one who first liked at the boat with you. Right, if the engine has to come out again that cost should be on his dime as he should have inspected all potential sources that would require engine removal to repair.

If it is leaking that much oil that quickly the source should be very easy to find.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:56 PM   #5
Admiral

What engine and how many hours are on it?

What is the oil pressure when cruising?

I'm with Dan either the oil pan gasket was not done right or rear main seal is leaking. Sloppy main bearing or scratches on the crank seal area will wear the seals out.

Any knocking noises?

BTY this is not a Maxum or 2700 issue its an engine issue that can happen to any boat.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #6

It's hard to get over the initial shock of the general cost and maintenance of a boat. I think everyone gets into boating with the only parallel they can compare it to.....Automobiles. Unfortunately they are not the same. Some manage to go years and years with little or no maintenance. Most of us spend money on a yearly basis.

I agree with Mike, that this has nothing to do with the boat. In fact, the boat typically takes very little maintenance. It's the various parts and systems that fail over time.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
It's hard to get over the initial shock of the general cost and maintenance of a boat. I think everyone gets into boating with the only parallel they can compare it to.....Automobiles. Unfortunately they are not the same. Some manage to go years and years with little or no maintenance. Most of us spend money on a yearly basis.

I agree with Mike, that this has nothing to do with the boat. In fact, the boat typically takes very little maintenance. It's the various parts and systems that fail over time.
Unfortunately I was told I was buying a working boat. We sold our perfectly good pontoon and now have a boat that has sucked money and still is not working. Now the engine is being pulled a second time. The frustration of not knowing whats going on is killing me. I know this is an auto motor. I just thought it would be fixed by now. I cant put much more money into it.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:39 PM   #8

My deepest sympathies. This is the worst time of year to be going through this. This is my 4th week sitting on the hard myself. My engine just went back in on Sunday. I'm hoping to be launching no later than the 4th of July.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote