Old 10-01-2009, 02:49 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 2400 Sc3 performance

I purchased my 2006 2400 SC3 new at the end of 2006. It is packaged with a 350 mag w/ a bravo 3 outdrive. For the most part I am completely satisfied with the boat. However I wouldn't mind adding some personal touches to it and maybe bump up the ponies a bit to get some extra speed out of it. I've been looking at a couple of options to add to the boat but have some questions. Pro Charger makes a bolt on super charger for the engine but states that it requires a thru hull exhaust. I've been looking around and see what's out there. And I have to say, there are many options when it comes to exhaust and I really have no idea were to start. For that matter will it even work with my boat? Is there room to do such a change to this boat? There's a ski locker in the back of the boat and I worry about clearance and heat. Lastly does anyone have some insight on props for a bravo 3 outdrive. Thanks for any help. :hello:

In The Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #2

Default Re: 2400 Sc3 performance

the 350 MAG should be putting out 300HP, which is right around where the old carb'd 454's were. (Granted there was a mix of 454 reporting either 300 or 325 HP, but I believe 300HP was more accurate). I had a 454 pushing between 300-325HP (again, I really think it was closer to 300) on my 2800. That may have been a bit undersized, but I would think the 350MAg on the 2400 would be PLENTY of HP for that boat.

through hull exhaust will be very, very expensive to retrofit and I have to wonder if it's even possible. Above the swim platform and you exhaust coming out the transom right onto the swim platform dumping exhaust coolant (raw-water) onto your swim platform. ( I certainly wouldn't want to be standing out there with the engine running). Under the swim step may be too low and expect a ton of exhaust soot, which will look spectacular when you're swimming behind the boat and climbing the swim ladder. Out the sides, I have to wonder if you have the room to route the exhaust at all. Did I mention the cost?
In addition, consider whether the supercharger can handle standard octane at the pump and whether your intake can draw enough raw water to keep things cool. Will the EFI need to be completely reconfigured, and can it handle the increased demand for fuel? Will you need to reprop to compensate for the added HP.

There is never a shortage of places to pour money into a boat and you don't typically have to look far to find those places. I think my boat is secretly in the mafia. It seems to shake me down for cash everytime I walk down the dock.

where are you actually loking for speed? Top-end? Hole Shot? what speeds are you crusing at now? Where do you want to be?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Have to agree with Shrew.

I also own a 2400 SC3 with the 350 Mag/B3 combination. The only viable option for routing the exhaust is out to the side, and even then - if it is possible, will be difficult - especially if you run mufflers. If you do add a bolt on blower of any kind new, higher flow, injectors will likely be needed, the FI and ignition curves will need to be remapped, cooling might be an issue, and almost without a doubt the octaine requirement will go up. Props sets for the B3 are costly but you could have yours re-worked instead. Heat in the engine bay will go up.

BTW, it's not so much about horse power, it's about torque. Though the 454's may have been rated at a mere 300 or 325 HP it was their torque rating that made the difference over the smaller displacement engines.

Perhaps another consideration - and likely close in cost; replace the 350 with a 383. Same engine block, bolt in operation, more displacement, more torque and HP.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:48 AM   #4
Ensign

I have to say I like the coment about the mofia. Very true... All though money is alway a concearn I do realize anything I do with any boat is going to cost big bucks. It's more of the love, or one might say addiction. My boat tops out at best 50 Mph on the gps with a slight chop on the water. I realize that is plenty fast in reality but I just want to go faster. I'm a speed junky. Realisticly I would like to get to the mid to upper 60's for now. One day I plan on owning something that will do 100mph on the water. But for now, I will play with what I have.
In The Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I can relate, although I'm more of an acceleration junky than a speed junky.

An increase from 50-ish to mid/upper 60's will require a pretty serious power increase. 50 extra HP/Tq isn't going to do it, 100 HP/Tq may, but may not.

Adding a blower to the 350 is doable but I don't know if the crank and pistons are up to the task. Only way you could reliably do this is to pull the 350 and have it rebuilt specifically for blower. I don't think even a stout (non blown) 383 is going to work because it won't want to idle low enough for no wake zones. Could build a mild big block for it that would do the job but then nearly everything needs to be replaced.

Perhaps just buying a faster boat is the best course.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #6

For the kind of money you'd be looking to spend, you'd be better off taking that money, selling the boat and combing the cash for something like this:

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Fount ... /111758401

There's no aft cabin, but it has a v-berth, some seating and a porta-pottie and a 70+ MPH top end.

Boating is an excercise in compromise. In General: Cruising boats don't make good fast boats. Fast boats don't make good cruising boats. Neither make good fishing boats. Fishing boats tend to be limited in cruising (at least when comparing the livibility of a fishing boat vs. a cruiser of the same size). To get into a boat that is good for crusing and fishing, then cost and size tends rise. Convertables meet this goal well, but they're rarely fast. To get a very fast fishing boat which is also sizable for crusing and the price thends to shoot through the roof.

I would love a fishing boat, but I own an express cruiser that is basically unfishable. However, I don't want to boat alone, so I compromised on something that both the wife and I can enjoy together. I see this alot. Someone buys a bowrider, but wants to fish. You can pull the kids in a tube on a walk-around, but are limited with a bowrider in regards to fishing.

No offense, this is life. Many, many people need to go through several boats over a number of years before they really find the boat they want. This won't be my last boat and there are many things I'm looking for in my next boat. When I get that boat it will be perfect.........................until I use it for a while and realize the things I want or need that I didn't consider. Then I'll add that to the wish list for the Next boat.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote