Old 06-03-2016, 10:56 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2006 Maxum 3300SE Oil Pressure Alarm

New Boater here...

Took my Maxum 3300SE out today for a few hours, after getting an oil change and Raycor fuel water separator replacement. On the return trip, I heard the engine alarm go off; I look at the gauges and the oil pressure was almost at maximum. Decelerated, and went back up - same result. Did this a few times before making it back to the marina.

I did smell burning oil a few times after the alarm went off and I brought the engines back down. When it initially occurred, I was running between 3700-4000 RPM's; this was the same speed going, but I did not have any alarms go off.

The engines have 80 hours on them, and I experienced the issue last week (for the first time), prior to an oil change.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you!

sammy157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:23 PM   #2
Admiral

Did you look in the engine compartment for signs of leaking oil?

When you say burning do you mean coming out the exhaust or hot oil on the engine?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:28 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Did you look in the engine compartment for signs of leaking oil?

When you say burning do you mean coming out the exhaust or hot oil on the engine?
Yes, and there were no indications, signs, drips or anything.

Burning as in smell. Did not see with any fumes (this week), just a smell of burning oil.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I see you made it over here also Sammy.

Two sources of burning oil smell. 1) It's being burned in the combustion chambers and exiting through the exhaust system along with the normal gases. 2) Oil is leaking out somewhere and onto something hot enough to burn the oil. Typically only the exhaust system, specifically the where the manifolds contact the cylinder heads, will get hot enough to cook the oil enough to produce a noticeable smell. Check around the bottom edge of the valve covers near the exhaust manifolds for signs of oil, also check the top of the dip stick tubes. Again though, I think it unlikely that both engines are doing the same thing. At this point my guess is that the oil smell is unrelated to the high OP symptom. Indeed, since you mentioned that the oil had just been changed it's very possible some oil got dripped on some parts during the change. Double check that both filters are tight.

As I suggested over on THT, run the boat again and carefully log all the parameters and symptoms, and under which circumstances they occur.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #5
Admiral

So to clarify is it a low or high pressure issue? The origional post said the reading was maximum but then went back up so I assumed maximum meant zero instead of greater than 80 psi. Also I do not know of a high alarm only low pressure.

Also not clear is this one or both engines.

Mike
Old 06-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
Ensign

Thanks for the replies. Turns out it is not the oil, as I originally thought, and it's likely the water pumps and coolant. Drove over to a different marina/mechanic, and from what I was told, it does not sound like the marina where I purchased the boat from maintained or winterized it properly...
Old 06-05-2016, 01:15 PM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy157 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Turns out it is not the oil, as I originally thought, and it's likely the water pumps and coolant. Drove over to a different marina/mechanic, and from what I was told, it does not sound like the marina where I purchased the boat from maintained or winterized it properly...
Not sure where you live but hopefully there is no serious damage from improper winterization.

The alarm sounds for many reasons; typically low lube, overheat, low oil pressure. On newer boats such as your 2006 it sounds for other faults as well and may put the engine in limp mode to try and protect it.

Mike