Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-16-2011, 03:47 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 1999 2800 SCR engine problems

I have a 7.4L Mercruiser that runs fine for the first half hour or so and then for no apparent reason an alarm sounds and the engine goes into limp home mode. Replaced the port knock sensor (this was indicated by a diagnostics check), then I did a tune up nothing seems to solve this problem. This has been going on for a a couple of years and I have not been able to resolve this problem Definitely takes the fun out of boating. If anyone could help that would be great.

hughecs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #2

What is the alarm doing? A constant tone, or chirping? what is the pattern (e.g. 2 fast beeps? etc) . Have you had another diagnostic check? Drive lube levels is a couple of chirps, overheating is a constant alarm tone, for example. This sounds like an overheating issue. Does it do it after 1/2 hr. at low RPM's or only when up on plane?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks for the help. The alarm is a constant beep until I shut off the engine. Once I restart the engine I will not get an alarm until I advance the throttle. I have not had another diagostics done since then. The engine temp is rock solid at about 175 degrees. Alarm sounds when up on plane. I have never checked if the alarm will sound after 1/2 hour while running at low rpm.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Admiral

well..this could be a couple of things....one might be the controller itself....bad connection someplace at one of the sensors....how bout the oil level in the outdrive reservoir.....if it's full..then probably a bad sensor....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Is this a fuel injected engine or carb'd? Does it go into limp home the very moment the alarm starts sounding? Does this engine have two temp sensors, one that drives the gauge and another that feeds the computer (if FI'd)? Are the symptoms repeatable every time?

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
well..this could be a couple of things....one might be the controller itself....bad connection someplace at one of the sensors....how bout the oil level in the outdrive reservoir.....if it's full..then probably a bad sensor....

SP
Which Controller and or sensor? Out drive oil was replaced last year. Had the problem before and after the oli was repaced. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
Is this a fuel injected engine or carb'd? Does it go into limp home the very moment the alarm starts sounding? Does this engine have two temp sensors, one that drives the gauge and another that feeds the computer (if FI'd)? Are the symptoms repeatable every time?

Dan
It is EFI. Yes it goes into limp mode right after the alarm sounds. Don't know about the temp sensors. Don't even know where to look for them. Yes the symptoms are repeatable. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
....how bout the oil level in the outdrive reservoir.....if it's full..then probably a bad sensor....

SP
Mine gives two fast beeps for outdrive oil level. One long constant (very loud) tone for overheating. I'd be curious to see what the temp. guage reads when the alarm goes off. Still 175? I think SS might be onto it.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
Admiral

I'm thinking that your temp sensor is bad....or the computer (aka controller) for the efi is getting bad readings....which causes it to go into LHM......

if you can get a merc tech with a laptop and the merc software to plug into it..this might give you a better reading on what is going on....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #10
Admiral

I wish I knew which faults caused the machine to go into protection mode. I'd be a little surprised if drive lube would do it (it did not on my 2004 EFI engine last season) but can see that temp and oil pressure would. Knock sensors - upon detecting detonation, tell the computer to retard the engine timing. I suppose if a KS were acting up it could force limp home mode but I'm just guessing.

A wiring diagram sure would be handy right now.

Regardless, if the engine is actually going into limp home then the ECM is making it do so based on some fault it has identified. Given that, it will have a fault code stored (I think, as long as the batteries have not been disconnected). If there are no codes stored then find out what sub system will cause an alarm and limp home but won't throw a fault code.

Sorry, not much help......

Dan
Old 04-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #11

This is just a general (stupid) question. Does the engine use the same temp sender that the guage uses?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
Ensign

I do not know the answer to that question. It would not make since if it didn't but you never know. I would not know how to check that out.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #13
Admiral

If you could find the wiring diagram for your boat that would show it. The diagram might be in the owners manual, as it is for my 2004 MY Maxum.

Regardless, I think you need to have a tech plug into the computer and check for codes.

Dan
Old 04-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #14
Ensign

The temp stays at 175 during the alarm.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:08 AM   #15
Ensign

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #16
Admiral

Wish I could offer more, just not enough to work with.

Once you have a chanse to have it looked at please come back and let us know what it turned out to be.

Dan