Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 1998 Mercruiser missing breaker

I changed my user name due to login problems, but back to the 1998 Maxum Merc 5.0 with no breaker on the engine. Is this heard of? I know no one took it off, and the black ground wire from the slave starter solenoid that should go to that breaker is just hanging loose. Should I ground it? And like Dan commented, it is absolute that the only way for the main starter to operate is if it is grouned after installing to the block? I have it wired but not bolted so I could see if it would run, even if the engine were seized.Thanks.

HairyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
Admiral

WOW this sounds hairy (sorry could not help myself).

First welcome aboard, I think not sure how much posting you did before the name chage.

Missing breaker means it was removed! Ground does not go to a breaker only hot (12V). Engine seized?

Pictures and more detail on what you issues are would help.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
WOW this sounds hairy (sorry could not help myself).

First welcome aboard, I think not sure how much posting you did before the name chage.

Missing breaker means it was removed! Ground does not go to a breaker only hot (12V). Engine seized?

Pictures and more detail on what you issues are would help.

The wiring diagram shows the slave starter solenoid black wire on one of the smaller connection posts going to ground of the engine block. Why would a black ground wire go to the positive side of the batter, or elsewhere? Also, does the larger starter have to be bolted on to work, even if all the wires are attached? This 50 amp breaker on the engine, right near the slave starter solenoid is weird, because I doubt anyone would have taken it off without me knowing. So I am trying to see exactly where to place the smaller black wire on the slave. As is, when I attempt to start the boat I only hear one click each time I turn the key? Thanks for responding, and I hope I can get more info on this from you. Maybe in 1998 Maxum decided not to install the breaker. I can see where it goes, and it isn't there.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
Admiral

You said "and the black ground wire from the slave starter solenoid that should go to that breaker is just hanging loose" This made me think you thought the black wire should go to the breaker which is wrong.

Not sure what you mean by this either "Also, does the larger starter have to be bolted" starter or red thick wire?

The harness comes from mercruiser and installed by Maxum. The breaker protects the harness all the way to the helm so no one should have removed it.

Since you menationed you have a wiring diagram you need to compare it to your actual wiring.

BTY: if no one messed with he wiring there would not be loose wires. How long have you had the boat?

Once again some pictures may help me/others answer your questions.

As far as if the engine is seized try turning it by using a 1/2 " ratchet on the center crank pulley. If you can turn it it's not seized else yep.

Mike
Old 08-25-2013, 01:44 AM   #5
Lt. JG

I bought it new. I have no clue why someone would have removed the breaker? Where the black wire on the slave solenoid go? The diagram shows one wire from the breaker (red) goes to the starter and the other (red/purple) goes to a main red/purple line, of which connection goes to the alternator. Of course my boat will not turn over if these connections are missing. I just find it difficult to imagine someone would come into my yard, go into my boat, and steal the breaker. I am not sure where the end of the line is for the red/purple line, as once it comes from the alternator and slave, it goes into a connector and I loose it after that.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:46 AM   #6
Lt. JG

Sorry, as for the starter, someone told me that if I do not bolt the starter to the engine, it won't be grounded, so it will not work. I currently have it just lying on the floor so I could see if it spun. Thanks again, and sorry, but I am not a marine mechanic. Wish I were sometimes. And Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:49 AM   #7
Commander

Any idea if this boat was repowered at any time? My 2000 4.3 doesn't have a breaker either. Perhaps newer models deleted the breaker?

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:21 AM   #8
Lt. JG

I bought it new. never re-powered. That is one of the things I am wondering though, as it is not likely someone stole my breaker. The way the black wire is wound around another group of wires, and doesn't show any nut marks, tends to make me believe there was never a breaker on the top of the engine. This is like a bad movie...lol
Old 08-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
Admiral

Yes the starter gets it's ground by being bolted to he block. You can use auto jumper cable and connect one end to battery negative and other end to starter housing and it should work. The red wire that should go to the breaker is getting power from the thick red battery cable on the starter, the output side ofthe breaker (red/purple) then provides protected 12V to the rest of the engine systems. I have a 1997 2400 SCR and have a breaker. Also never heard of there not being one but I learn new things every day. All black wire in the harness should get tied to ground on the engine block normally where the heavy black cable from the battery is bolted on in the back of the engine.

Mike
Old 08-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
Admiral

The connector where the red/purple goes then runs to the helm to provide power to the gauges. This would normally be on the output side of the breaker.

Maybe and I have never seen this on a boat mercruiser replaced the breaker with a fusable link (wire that is designed to melt before the rest of the harness does) auto manufactures uses these.

Mike
Old 08-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
Admiral

My question to you is what is the issue that made you remove the starter in the first place?

Mike
Old 08-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
Lt. JG

Thanks mmwjr for that info. Very helpful. Today I will put the starter in and take it from there. If it turns over without the large missing breaker...oh well, I will leave well enough alone, I guess. But I am still going to google the hell out of "50 amp breaker missing" info.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
Lt. JG

A terrible mechanic told me it was not working when I hired him to see why engine wouldn't start. But I have checked both the new and older starter outside the boat, and find that they are both in working order, so now, I guess I have a spare. I've been looking for a used trailer for some time, but they are hard to come by. So, I cannot get the boat to a merc mechanic, and haven't found any to come to my place, as they are all busy this time of year. But, and thanks to you help, I am seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe the slave was the issue, and now, once the starter is bolted in...maybe it will do something.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
Admiral

Now were starting to understand the issue. When it would not start were there any noises? Clicks, try to crank (engine turn over). When did it last run?

Details regarding when last ran to now will help determine the issue.

Good luck.

Mike
Old 08-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
Lt. JG

Took my last cruise in July of 2004...eeeek. The start of all this was that when I turned the key to start, I would just hear one low-level click. I could have been coming from the starter, but I have not had someone else turn the key so I could go down and see exactly where the single click was coming from. I am hoping that the rust on areas of the top of the block can be sanded and painted. lots of the terminal connections have green buildup on them, etc. But the boat came out of the water for the last time, running perfectly. I let it sit because of other business issues, and because I bought a home right near all the marinas. I figured I would get a trailer instead of paying thousands a year to go to my boat across the street. Then, other stuff stopped me from caring about using the boat so much.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #16
Lt. JG

Put in the starter and it turned right over...Thank God. So I am half way there to bringing my baby back to life. Now I have to figure out what to do with the half tank of 9 year old gas I am about to siphon out of the tank..lol. Thanks again guys and Mike.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #17
Admiral

Glad to hear the engine turned over, that's half th battle. Get rid of the old gas. You may need to have the tank polished to get rid of crud. To see if he engine will run you can disconnect the fuel line from the tank and insert it into a portable gas tank and try running on that. Don't go boating this way!

An engine requires air, spark and fuel to run. Now that you can crank it air is free just a matter of having spark and fuel.

Keep us posted on your progress and any questions.

Mike
Old 08-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #18
Admiral

BTY: Here is what the breaker should look like.

Name:  breaker.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  6.8 KB

Mike
Old 08-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #19
Lt. JG

Thanks Mike, but for some reason, I guess mine never came with it. Perhaps they found a cheaper way to sole the same issue?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #20
Lt. JG

Got the baby started with engine running. Drained most of the gas and re-fueled. Replaced the slave starter solenoid, and all is well.