Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 1990 2700scr manuals

I just got this 1990 2700 SCR with 5.7L- 260hp and FWC. IT also has built in A/C unit. I know Bayliner was the parent co. of Maxum but since they don't buld them anymore there is no factory support from Bayliner. So where can I get any owner or parts manuals for this boat ? Can I get info on Merc engine and Alpha 1 outdrive from Mercury ? The boat passed a survey and engine runs fine , new risers and manifolds, and good compression. Things I need to take care of are blower motor for a/c and put a water heater back in the boat as the old one was taken out. I would like to get some camper canvas as all I have is bimini and cockpit cover, does anybody still make stuff this old ?

malmuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
Admiral

welcome aboard.

A with all boats other than the basic shell (hull, deck, ...) the parts used are made by suppliers such as merc, perko, whale, ...
The owners manual does not provide much detail. For the engine and drive you can either get factory or aftermarket manuals.
Try this link http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/

GreatLakeSkipper still has some left over Maxum parts
Letas top shop has all the maxum canvas patterns.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #3

Welcome aboard Malamuteman!!!!

A lot of random questions. You might want to think about breaking these out into more succinct threads, like "Hotwater Heater".
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks Mike. I'm in Butler, MD
Old 10-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmuteman View Post
Thanks Mike. I'm in Butler, MD
Where are you boating out of?

Mike
Old 11-03-2014, 05:08 AM   #6
Ensign

Have not been on here for awhile. I don't know where I will be launching from yet.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
Ensign

Default Alpha 1 outdrive seawater pump

1990 2700 SCR w/ alpha 1 drive and 5.7L merc that is full FWC, manifolds coolant fed, but risers are seawater. There is the seacock that feeds the engine pump but does the outdrive still have a working pump or is it not used. Do I have to put ears on the outdrive and put fresh water hose to the seacock hose to flush and how about winterizing ??
Old 11-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #8
Admiral

The raw water pump in this set up is in the Alpha drive unless someone added one to the engine. Even if they did the upper gears of the drive rely on its water pump to cool the gears.

Can you post a few picture showing the seacock and hose plumbing, also front of engine.

Mike
Old 11-07-2014, 04:02 AM   #9
Ensign

Thanks for answering Mike. I'm new to sites like this and seems I have pissed off SHREW. His only feedback to me (no answer to anything I asked) has been I'm posting in the wrong place, or asking too many questions at one time, or that I've hijacked (?????) threads, I have no idea what that means !!. Why am I asking someone who post that they had the same year and model as mine questions when their post was 4 yrs. old, because they are the only one who has the same boat as me. I'm trying to get it straight as where to ask questions but is this the general attitude of those who use this site? I thought this site is about trying to help new owners to figure out their boat and it's systems. As to what I asked, the seawater pump on the engine (belt driven) is as built from Merc for the seawater side, cooler for antifreeze, oil cooler, risers and exhaust. There is separate seacock for A/C with strainer and electric pump. Front of block pump takes care of antifreeze to block and manifolds. I thought that the gear oil in the Alpha drive also cooled it as the pump in the drive wasn't strong enough to do the seawater side on a FWC engine. I will try to get some photos tomorrow and post.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #10
Admiral

While it may seem shrew was pissed I doubt that is the case at all. This is a rather slow site that he moderates and he has a rather busy life from what I have gather. What I am trying to say is he does his best to help and at times ends up being straight to the point which to some can come off wrong as he did with you.

I am no forum expert but a hijack is ask a question in a thread that is different from its title, so if best to start a new thread and folks with the same boat will jump in. Also one only needs to post a question once, not sure what you did but I have seen others post the same question under several topics including Captains Logs.

Do not feel discouraged and you will find this site to be helpful.

Mike
Old 11-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #11
Admiral

Now back to you question. A boat uses 2 water pumps, a raw water pump that is built into the Alpha drive or engine mounted for Bravos, this pump is a scavenger pump to draw raw water in from the outside of the boat. Then there is a engine circulating pump (same as on a car engine) which in an open system pumps the raw water through the engine or on a closed cooling system pumps the coolant of the closed system through the engine.

Old Alpha Gen 1 pumps would not push enough volume to work with closed cooling but the newer Gen 2 pumps can. Picture will really help.

On the inside of the transom assy is the raw water hose present and if so what does it go?

Mike
Old 11-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #12
Admiral

malmuteman I sent you a PM (private message) look under Notifications at the top right of this window.

Mike