Old 03-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 1 or 2 outlets on my fuel separator? 2007 Maxum 135hp 1800MX...

Can anyone tell me if the fuel separator on my maxum has 1 or 2 outlets? I've taken a look and the opposite side of where my existing fuel outlet is doesn't have any plug or anything visible. It is a mirror image of the current outlet and appears to be hollow. I can't really get a good look at it.

Thanks,

Ken

chiroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
Admiral

well...there should be only one fuel inlet....the other is a pump out for the sanitation tank...and then the other one is fresh water tank.......that's about it....if you have an extra fitting...then it was started by the previous owner or someone else.....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
Commander

If it is the original Quicksilver mounting bracket it should have four 1/4 inch NPT fittings.

SP, I don't think he will find a sanitation tank or freshwater tank on his 1800MX. : )

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Default what is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tglee View Post
If it is the original Quicksilver mounting bracket it should have four 1/4 inch NPT fittings.
OK, now I'm feeling dumb here. This is the picture of the part I'm talking about. You can see the fuel line from the tank entering from underneath and the fuel line coming out the top. I don't think my boat even has a fuel separator. Or a fuel filter for that matter other than a screen on the fuel tank outlet. The generic owner's manual only speaks of one (fuel separator) with the diesel engine.

Can you please identify this part?

Thanks,

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Boat 004resized.jpg  
Old 03-23-2010, 02:48 AM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tglee View Post

SP, I don't think he will find a sanitation tank or freshwater tank on his 1800MX. : )
well....that certainly takes the sails out of my wind....ok...from what I can see...looks like a fuel pump....to the left is the starter..
you should have a fuel filter inline to the fuel pump..
SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:13 AM   #6
Commander

Quote:
....ok...from what I can see...looks like a fuel pump....
We have a winner!

That is your fuel pump. The yellow hose is an overflow hose. In a car if your fuel pump diaphram cracks and leaks fuel it falls on the ground and evaporates. In a boat it would fall in the bilge and the fumes could explode. The yellow tube directs it to the carburetor so that it will be burned in the engine instead of falling in to the bilge.

If you see liquid in that yellow tube it is a sign that you need a new fuel pump.

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:44 AM   #7
Lt. JG

I too was putting my money on it being the fuel pump, and yes, the yellow hose runs to the carb but I didn't know it's function. Thanks for the info. Seapuppy was talking about an inline fuel filter. I didn't see one when I traced the hose from the tank to the pump. Will take another look but I don't think one is there.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Ken, are you certain there are only two lines; the line from the tank to the pump, and another from the pump to the carb?

Carb'd engines are not quite as sensitive to small bits in the fuel as a FI engine is, and manual fuel pumps can ingest and pump out thos small bit without much trouble. If there is no filter in the line from the tank to the pump then there probably is a filter of some kind located where the line from the pump to the carb connects at the carb. It might actually be housed within the carb body.

Carb'd engines do not require much in the way of fuel pressure, typically somewhere between 5 and 8 PSI, generated only on the output side of the pump of course. The carb has a "float" that pushes a fuel inlet needle against a seat to stop the fuel flow into the carb when the carb's fuel bowl gets full. If the fuel system had an overflow line, AKA fuel return line, it likely would be located at the fuel pump and run back to the tank. If the overflow/return line just dumped fuel into the carb the engine would flood and stop running. A return line generally isn't needed when using a manual fuel pump.

Question; is there no clamp of any kind on the yellow line at the pump? How about where it connects at the carb?

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote