Old 03-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruz'r View Post
Shrew, when you say to isolate the batteries, does it means when battery switch indicator is on battery #2, battery #1 (dedicated starting battery) is safe (not drawing any current) no matter how I use battery #2? Where should I set the switch dial if shore power is hooked up and battery charger is on and I want to charge both batteries? I appreciate expert advice...
If they are wired correctly, then yes. The shore power 120vac and the batteries are 12v dc. They are mutually exclusive systems. The closest they come, is the shorepower circuit is sending current to the battery charger and the battery charger is charging the batteries. When you're on shorepower, your lights are still powered off of the batteries. Your simply charging the batteries faster than you are drawing off of the them when the lights are on.

I would be directly connecting my battery charger to each battery. This is why I prefer to use the same type of battery. I use all AGM. Deep Cycle on the house side and Starter for the engine. Since I have two house batteries I have then wired in parrallel. I have a single 2 battery switch. The house series (parallel) is connected to the switch like a single battery. Mine is wired so Everything is either on 1 or 2. I can technically run my house or start the engine off of either bank. I start on 1, and sit on 2.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #12
Lieutenant

Thanks for helping the newbie...

cruz'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:21 AM   #13
Lieutenant

Both batteries are deep cycle.

cruz'r is offline   Reply With Quote