Old 07-11-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Water system & galley light switches in cabin of a 1999 3000SCR

The water system switch located in the cabin of our 1999 Maxum 3000SCR crapped out over the weekend. In removing the switch panel, which also contains the switch for the cabin (Galley set of overhead lights) the wire connecting to the switches came un-done. I purchased a new lighted water system switch and now cannot get things to work properly. This is what I have for wires:
LIGHTED PUMP SWITCH
BLUE (solid) large gauge as 12v supply
BROWN (solid) large gauge as wire to pump
Black (solid) small gauge as ground

I also have the following to the
Three Cabin-Galley lights overhead:
BLUE w/WHITE TRACE small gauge
BROWN (solid) large gauge

Wired switches as above, and the water pump works just fine... There is no supply voltage in the other brown.

What am I missing?? is there an in-line fuse I am missing that might have blown?? or do I have the two switches wired incorrectly? A wiring diagram would be helpful to identify what the wires are and what they operate... seems that I am missing a supply feed. Thanks for the feedback!

armdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #2

I have replaced my switches, but I simply disconnected the old and reconnected the new. I don't recall there being 3 wires to the switch. I suspect that the ground is common. One hot is to the pump and the other is for the light in the switch, if I had to guess. Use a Voltmeter and check both lines to see if you are getting power to both. It may not have been the switch itself that died to begin with, but rather a problem either upstream or downstream of the switch. All the swtich is doing is shorting the circuit. You could theoretically do that with almost any switch for testing purposes. Be careful, 12V can have potentially high amperage draws. I would't want to rely solely on the fuse to limit the amount of amperage delivered if I accidentally shocked myself.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks Shrew...
I had the same idea of just disconnecting the bad switch and replacing with the new one until during the un-installation of the plate all the wires on the back of the old switches came off (except for one) before I could make the transition from the old to the new or even allow me to record the wiring sequence. The pump switch has three terminals, one for source voltage, one for accessory it operates and one for ground to operate the light in the switch. There is only "one" voltage source (solid blue) wire that I can see, and it connects to the pump switch source terminal, one of the two brown leads completes the circuit back to the water pump (connects to the accessory terminal), allowing the pump to operate normally and the tiny-black lead connects to the ground terminal which completes the "light circuit" portion of the switch.

My question is, what is the second brown wire used for and/or what does it operate? While a quick solution is to side connect a jumper to the solid blue supply lead over to the overhead galley lights - that is not how it was designed to be wired... I'm missing something, just do not have all the information to make it work again and a V-O-M doesn't help. A wiring diagram or even a photo of the switch connections (pump and galley lights panel) would be helpful in diagnosis of this problem.

Thanks again...
armdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Ensign

Hi.is the problem solved? If not,send me s mail and I will be happy to take a picture of my switches and send to you.If you like I can even send the wiring schematics to you.kind regards kjetil
ulven71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #5

Unforutnately, the OP's last logon was 10-10-2011. This frequently happens. Thanks for the offer.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote